chapter thirty seven

— 𝔪𝔲𝔰𝔦𝔠 𝔯𝔢𝔠𝔬𝔪𝔪𝔢𝔫𝔡𝔞𝔱𝔦𝔬𝔫 ༄
    ↠ 𝐁𝐨𝐡𝐞𝐦𝐢𝐚𝐧 𝐑𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐬𝐨𝐝𝐲, 𝐐𝐮𝐞𝐞𝐧

"Adena and I are going in the prefect's carriage, see you later hopefully."

Noah waved them goodbye, Adena doing the same and following after Noah. However, after taking a step, she was stopped by a velvet-like voice calling out her name. She turned around, her sad hazel orbs meeting Regulus' grey eyes.

He had instantly noticed the sad look in her pupils even though her features weren't giving anything away. He stared at her quietly as Adena closed the distance between them. Being at the perfect height, the girl slowly placed her forehead on his shoulder. She didn't know why, she was only seeking some comfort, his comfort. The hand he placed behind her head was enough for her she realized. Only a tear left her eye and fell onto his robe before she took control of herself again. She wasn't usually that sad, but she had probably got too close to her housemates and even to Regulus, not too feel saddened by the departure. And that closeness made her fear the loneliness of holidays even more.

"Let's get inside," murmured the Slytherin male as his left hand returned to his side. His right hand went to grab Adena's one as he led her towards their compartment. Some people were already there but Adena wouldn't lift her gaze from the floor.

"Good morning Black, Winsten," said both the Head boy and Head girl, welcoming them inside.

Regulus sat at a table at the end of the compartment, not hesitating to lead Adena to the seat by his side. The Ravenclaw placed her head back on his shoulder as he didn't seem to mind.

"Here you are!" exclaimed Noah with a smile he came back from talking with a Hufflepuff prefect. "Are you okay?"

"Tired," murmured Adena looking out the window. Regulus unconsciously tightened his hold on her hand that he hadn't let go of.

Noah only hummed even though he looked worried.

"Hi guys!" Ivanna had arrived at their table. She smiled when seeing Regulus and Adena side by side but frowned when noticing something was off about her. She opened her mouth to speak but the Slytherin's cold and serious stare was enough to dissuade her and so she just sat next to Noah without saying anything.

Soon after the Head girl and Head boy gave out the instructions. Adena and Noah had to leave soon. But Adena didn't want to leave Regulus so soon. The brunette nuzzled her face more into his shoulder, hiding it against his body. His thumb had started rubbing the back of her smooth hand in circular motions. He was not even thinking about his gestures, he just did it. It felt right and natural.

"Lee and Winsten, it's your turn!" called out the Head girl. And Adena's body tensed up.

"Adena, we have to go," whispered Noah as he got up. The brunette slowly lifted her head from Regulus' shoulder. He was looking straight into her eyes.

"See you soon, okay?" he murmured, and she nodded before getting up, letting go of his hand with difficulty. Before leaving, the Ravenclaw looked back once at the raven-haired boy who returned her gaze.

"Wow is there something between you and Winsten?" asked curiously Ivanna with a smirk.

"No," was Regulus curt reply but Ivanna didn't believe that. Nor did he.

As Noah and Adena were walking in the train, the boy suddenly interrupted the silence, hoping to make the girl forget her sad thoughts.

"Adena... I've been thinking about something lately, is that okay if I tell you about it?" asked the boy quietly.