chapter thirty five

The morning of the first exam, the level of tension had reached its peak. Everyone looked as pale as a sheet and had their mouths in tight lines. The breakfast was barely touched. However, the one who looked in the worst condition was Jacob. He had his forehead against the table, his whole body shaking anxiously. Noah, being the nice and caring friend he was, had started rubbing comforting circles on his back.

Jade who usually liked to make fun of him, said worriedly, "Maybe he should see Madam Pomfrey before the exam."

Everyone agreed and Noah and Isaac each put one of his arms around their shoulders, bringing the poor boy out of the Hall with some difficulty.

"He looks like a ghost. I think even his soul has left his body at this point..." added the girl.

The students were kindly directed out of the Great Hall in order to let the teachers and examiners prepare the room. The small group had decided, like many other people, to go outside, enjoying some rays of sun before going back inside.

"The sun gives energy. Take it guys," said Millie with a smile as she closed her eyes. She seemed like the most confident of them all.

When they were called in again, everyone entered the room slowly. Adena looked for her seat that she found at one of the last ranks. Two ranks before her, right next to the wall, Regulus was there, smiling confidently at her, not an ounce of stress in his features. She gave him an anxious smile in return and so the boy mouthed 'Trust yourself' and she nodded after he did before listening to the explanations.

Transfiguration was their first test. Adena's eyes quickly roamed the sheet of paper with her eyes before realizing it was nothing she didn't know. She was feeling more confident now. She should have felt like that from the beginning.

The young Ravenclaw finished rather quickly. She took her time to read again every answer she had put down. When looking towards Regulus, it looked like he was doing the same. She gave out her sheet of paper before heading outside, deciding some fresh air would be enjoyable.

Regulus joined her soon after.

"Seeing your relaxed face, I conclude you did good."

"Yeah and I guess you did too."

"I admit I'm rather confident."

Many students went out after but Adena decided to stay with Regulus, continuing their quiet chat. They parted ways not long after when people went back inside to have lunch.

"Jacob, it seems like you're feeling better. Did you succeed?" asked Adena, sitting at his side.

"Hehe I did. Happily, the guys brought my zombie self to Madam Pomfrey and she gave me a calming potion. And then I totally nailed the exam."

"Sometimes I hate you, you know. Barely studying to have such great results," muttered Jade though gritted teeth, jabbing her knife in the meat in her plate, making the Jacob stare anxiously at her.

"I'm a genius- Jade don't hit me!" screamed the blonde boy before hiding behind Noah who was laughing.

Everyone was feeling way more relaxed, they all found back their appetite and their usual moods.

However they became anxious again for the practical exam. Adena stayed confident and she was right to feel that way. The brunette definitely succeeded.

After gathering themselves in the park, Isaac asked, "How did it go for you?"

"I changed my frog into a rat instead of a mouse, I guess I was too nervous..." said sadly Eugenia.

"Don't worry. The Hufflepuff girl by my side just covered her frog with grey fur. I guess your result isn't that bad," replied Jade.