chapter ninety one

Regulus and Adena exited the dungeons when it was lunch time and ignored every question as to why they were not present in class. They had already planned to stay the whole day together. Of course it was for Regulus' birthday, but the girl couldn't help feeling that he didn't want to stay alone, not that he had clearly expressed his mind, but the way he had clutched to her, and hold her hand so tightly while they were walking, it was enough to hint her.

And so that was how they found themselves back in his bed not long after. The door was locked, like they were locked in their own world. It was slow and soft. Adena kept on caressing his beautiful face, but every time she would look deep into his grey orbs, she couldn't help remembering his sad tears from earlier. He looked so fragile under her intense gaze, and so to avoid remembering this painful moment, she would hold his head tightly between her arms while muffling her face into his raven hair.

And after that, they would remain in the same position, Regulus' face closely pressed against her chest, her arms going to his shoulders and she offered light caresses to his warm skin, soft brushes of hands. And he loved that, he had needed that. Just to be held against her, being enfolded by her scent, warmth, and comfort. Nothing felt as good as her arms.

"Stay with me for the night too, please," his velvet-like voice quietly whispered.

"Okay, I will," she only answered. There was no need to think, if he wanted to, if he needed to, she would stay with him. And the boy smiled when hearing these words. He felt reassured when hearing her answer even though he had expected it. That only brought more warmth to his cold heart. She made him feel like himself again, while he felt like he was gone, his mind had been out of place, she put him back on track. And he was so thankful.

During the night, Regulus unexpectedly had a hard time falling asleep. He felt afraid he might not be able to or that frightening images might haunt him during his sleep. However, only one look into Adena's eyes could calm him down.

"Just close your eyes," she told him while caressing his hair. He did as told and felt like melting under her touch.

"Don't leave me Adena..."

"I won't. I'm here," she whispered. These words never failed to bring him peace. His hectic heartbeat went back to normal. As the brunette observed him, she let her hand slipped under his shirt. At first, he tensed up, but when her delicate fingers started dancing across his skin, her hot palm caressing his back, he slowly relaxed under her  touch. The raven-haired male brought his face closer until it was hidden in the crook of her neck where her enchanting scent was the most intoxicating. She placed a kiss on his forehead before saying.

"Sleep peacefully, I won't leave you... I love you Regulus."

A few moments later it felt like he had forgotten his surroundings. He was no longer in his bedroom, where four other boys were sleeping as well, he was only embraced by his lover's arms. This thought brought him enough reassurance and he fell in a deep slumber.

When the girl felt his slow breathing hit her skin where goosebumps appeared, she smiled. Her thoughts brought her back to what happened that day, that long day. She also remembered how much she had needed his attention all this time when he was hiding his suffering from her. He was even hiding it from himself. She felt selfish for enjoying his presence so much when he needed to be comforted as well. She knew she should have forced him to get this off his chest before, but she also knew he was not ready. Maybe she made the best choice by waiting long enough until he accepted talking. She couldn't be sure. But she was sure that she would take better care of him. He needed to be taken care of, a part of him remained hurt and vulnerable. His childhood pain was still vivid nowadays but Adena would try to smother the pain, to replace it by loving moments until it would become weak memories he could forget. As she was falling asleep, the girl could only think of one thing, she would try her best to protect him from this darkness encircling him, threatening him.

For the next days, Adena showed Regulus she was open to any discussion if he needed to. She thought it was a good idea to show more acceptance, more openness, she wanted him to feel completely safe with her.

"How... how can you still be so tolerant of me... you don't reject me. You've never rejected me even before..."

He had told her that one day and the girl was almost shocked.

"Who am I to judge you? I'm nobody. You've always done what you wanted to do, or at least you took your own decisions and I respect that. And now that you regret joining the Dark Lord, all I can do is support you since there's no other choice. And why? Well, because I love you Regulus. We're in this together," she replied seriously, looking deep into his eyes so intensely that he felt intimidated.

"But... changing my mind so suddenly, wanting to give up, being a coward for wanting to escape, I pity myself..."

"But I disagree. I think that's brave of you to change your mind in such a difficult situation where the easiest choice to do is to follow blindly whatever the Dark Lord says or wants. But you, you do not agree with him which is brave to admit it, even though it's just to me," she added with the same seriousness in her eyes.

"You're the best you know it."

"I'm just doing my job as a supporting girlfriend. What do you expect me to do, I can't just dump you or be mad for that reason. Especially since I prefer that than totally supporting You-know-who."

"I love you, you know," he whispered so fondly while looking at her.

The girl chuckled and shrugged a little. "Now I know. Let's go back to work now." She said while turning her head towards her textbook.

"Not before you tell you love me too."

"I love you. Happy now?" she replied nonchalantly without looking up.

"No," as he said that, his arm crossed the table they were sharing at the library until his hand found her chin that he lifted up. He looked directly in her hazel eyes through her glasses, and even though she tried to act uninterested, there was a glint of happiness in her gaze that he adored. Smirking a little as his eyes gazed at her, he just whispered innocently, "Say you love me please."

She sighed, looked away for a second before looking back into his grey eyes.

"I love you Regulus," she whispered to him, almost inaudibly, but her lips mimicked perfectly the words so he couldn't miss them. Sensing it was sincere enough, a much larger grin crossed his features as he brought his hand up to caress her cheek lovingly. And the girl felt a burst of happiness in her. He was slowly becoming himself again.