Chapter 54

It was 2 PM and Liam was looking for Harry to have lunch together, but the guy was nowhere to be found, he wouldn't answer his phone even, Liam looked everywhere in the hospital, getting worried at this point so he decided to look for him in the yard, maybe he needed some fresh air?

There he was, sitting on a bench, with a pen and a paper?

Liam got closer, trying to listen to Harry who was talking to himself, "hmm, what do you call a man with a rubber toe? Roberto!" he giggled to himself as he wrote down the joke and Liam just stared.

Did he finally lose his mind?

"Harry? What are you-"

Harry turned toward Liam, "oh, hi! Wanna hear a joke?" he didn't wait for an answer, he just continued, "why do fish live in salt water?"

He waited for Liam to answer, who just rolled his eyes, "oh, come on,"

"because pepper makes them sneeze!" then he gave Liam a big, dimpley smile, "I'm so telling him this one."

"it's lunchtime Harry, come on, we are going to the cafeteria," Liam informed him, which just passed from one ear to the other, he just nodded and continued writing down his jokes.

"what are you doing even?" Liam sat next to him finally, snatching the paper from his hand.

"hey! give it back!" Harry wanted to snatch it right back, but Liam put his hand on his face, "shush, I'm reading,"

Harry pouted but didn't do anything, he was too tired to waste energy on something like that.

Liam didn't even smile reading through the jokes, "Harry what is this?" he was scared, what if something is actually wrong with Harry? What if he is dealing with something alone and Liam doesn't know?

"Are they that bad?" his face changed, frowning, biting on his bottom lip, "I thought they'd be good."

"for what?"

"for Zayn!" he groaned, now what? What if his jokes are not good enough? "he reacted to some stupid shit I said, now I don't know what else I'm supposed to do!"

"oh, for Zayn?" he laughed, "he'll love them, I thought something is wrong with your grapefruit," then he slapped Harry's back, "now, let's go for lunch."

They had their lunch almost in complete silence, occasionally they would talk about stuff about company, nothing more, Harry couldn't eat much, but still, he ate more than he did since Zayn was in the hospital.

The 24 hours that were supposed to pass was getting dragged, minutes felt like hours, and Harry was getting impatient, he had his collection of jokes ready, he was just waiting for the doctor to let him in the ICU again, it was Donya's turn, but Harry was planning to go without telling her.

Zayn was his husband, he wanted to meet him and he had the right.

It was around 6 PM when they told him he can see Zayn again, he felt giddy like he was going on a date, like he was seeing Zayn for dinner night and he was gonna impress him with his jokes.

Worked the first time, hopefully, it will work again.

"guess who's here!" he whispered with his eyes shining with excitement.

"I'm back with better jokes," he giggled, he started with the first one on his list, no reaction, the second one, still nothing, "I promise this one is actually funny!" he told him the third one.

"you- what happened? You don't like them?" he mumbled, feeling a sob forming in his throat, "but you liked the other one."

He thought about what he was doing, and it accrued to him, "it was a stupid idea," he tried to keep his tears at bay, "I'm sorry for bothering you with these," he shook his head in regret.