The Superior

It was just a little past 9:45 when Kim pulled into the parking lot of the Ferrari HQ. The building stood large and imposing in front of her, the logo of the Prancing Horse almost taunting her.

Her heart beat wildly in her chest as she went over the events leading to this parking lot.

In all honesty, she knew she was going to be here the moment she was offered her choice.

It had always been her dream to sit behind the wheel of an F1 car, and her grand-dad had greatly respected that. So, he trained her. He wasn't uneducated in the arts of racing, far from that actually, and he had the time to spare. So, he helped her.

He was an amazing teacher, she was a brilliant learner. And soon, Kim had the skill to rival the greats. But, she kept it hidden. No one knew she could drive.

Not until now.

Kim unbuckled her seat belt and got out of the car.

9:57 am.

She walked towards the building, stopping at the door.

This was it. If she walked into this building her life would change forever. But, would it be for better or worse?

Briefly, she wondered what her grandad would think. Would he approve of her racing for Ferrari?

Kim took a deep breath and pushed the door open.

A cold blast of air hit her in the face as she walked in. Her brown eyes scanned her surroundings, taking in the receptionist's desk, the potted plant, the fancy lift and the warm golden lighting.

Suddenly, a loud ding was heard, and the lift doors opened. Walking out of it, was the guy from the parking lot the previous day.

He looked around for a moment, until his eyes landed on Kim. A slimy grin broke out on his face.

"So you came then? I knew my plan would work."

Kim replied with silence.

"Follow me, I'll take you up to meet my superior."

The man guided Kim to the lift. The doors opened for them and they stepped in.

"Fourth floor," the man told the life operator.

With a solemn nod, the fourth floor button was pressed, and the party of 3 were carried upwards.

~~~~~~

About 5 minutes later, Kim found herself in front of a heavy oak door.

She knocked.

"Come in!"

She pushed the door open and stepped in.

In a large rotating chair, sat a man. He was probably a little older than 40, but he radiated the power of a high level employee. And at that point, Kim couldn't see him doing anything else.

"Good morning," she greeted.

"To you too. My name is Andante Allari. You must be Kim."

Kim nodded. "Why am I here?"

"Straight to the point. I like you."

Kim maintained her neutral expression.

"Well, you see it has come to my attention, that you have... A hidden talent. And I would like to put that talent to use. As I'm sure you've been told by countless people already, I want you to race for me, help my team. Scuderia Ferrari hasn't been doing all that well off late, and I want to change that. Hence, my solution. You."

He waved his hand at her, and continued. "I'm sure you've already been told what happens if you decline my oh-so-considerate offer, and in all honesty I wouldn't want it to come to that. So, I'm going to give you 3 days to decide. Make your decision wisely, I will not be blamed."

Kim thought for a moment.

"There's no need," she said. "I'll do it."

Allari smiled.

"Wise choice, girl. Sign this."

He handed her a pen and a contract.

Her eyes scanned briefly over the document, before she came to the conclusion that, it was the same thing as the contents of the envelope she had been given.

She located the signature box and signed it.

"Come back here on Monday. Same time. Your team principal Mr. Binotto will be waiting for you. You are dismissed."