Addie's Second Chance

Hours after dance began, the sky began to change colour. The figures faded because of the new light, and I pulled away from Charles.

"That was beautiful!" He exclaimed.

I laughed.

"It's an old trick my grand-dad taught me, it used to help with the nightmares."

"Whatever it was, it was out of this world! And if I had super powers, you'd have to teach me how to do that. But I don't, so nevermind, I'll just enjoy it when you do it."

I laughed again.

"The sun's rising. Don't you think we should check on Addie? And I'd like some breakfast, I'm really hungry."

"Oh my god, yes! We forgot about McAllister! Hopefully she's still asleep. Or she'll never let us live this down." Charles said, shaking his head.

I cringed, sucking in air.

"You're probably right. Let's just go before she wakes up."

The two of us got up and rushed down the stairs into my bedroom.

My empty bedroom.

"Oh shit, Addie's awake!"

"Oh you bet, I am!"

Me and Charles spun towards the connected bathroom.

Addie had just emerged, with a huge smirk on her face.

"So, where have you two been?"

I rolled my eyes.

"Nowhere, genius. We just got up sometime before you."

"Really? Then, what was all the, 'oh shit! Addie's up!' about?"

"Nothing." I replied calmly. "We thought you'd get worried, that's all."

Addie buckled.

"Well, you were right. I was worried, but I'm willing to let it go this time, because I have somewhere to be."

"That's good. Wait... What? No argument, nothing? Where are you going?"

Addie blushed.

"Lando asked you out again, didn't he?" I asked.

Addie nodded.

"Well, I'm not opening the door this time."

~~~~~~

After breakfast, Addie went to get ready while Charles pulled out his computer. Apparently, there was some stuff we had to go over.

"So, have you ever seen car performance reports?"

I paused for a moment.

"Yes, I have. I've been through countless old ones from Mercedes and my grand-dad's other teams."

"You're grand-dad was a racer?"

"Yep! He was fairly good as well."

"Really? Do I know him then?"

Yes, I thought. Everyone does. Everyone knows Papa. And a lot of people know me as well, they just don't remember.

"Probably. I don't know, though."

"Oh come on! Give me a name!"

"No. Not right now."

Ugh. What was I doing? Why had I even started this conversation?!

"Fine. These are last season's reports. You have to review them, I'm just here to help."

I nodded, glad to change the topic.

Charles pushed the laptop towards me and just before I could open the first file, Addie runs out with a frantic look on her face.

"Kim! You have to help me! My hair!"

She pointed to her head.

Tangled in her half curls, was my vintage curling iron.