Chattering Teeth

The next few days were fairly normal, by which I mean Charles and I were back on talking terms.

And even if it was just a few awkward words here and there, I still classified it as good.

The downside was that on Saturday- or rather Friday evening- I developed a headache.

A constant pulsing one that just makes you want to crack open your skull.

Oh, and a cough.

Yes, a stupid headache and an annoying cough.

Luckily, I had managed to keep it hidden from everyone, and Addie had recovered enough to take Irene back.

On Saturday however, things took a turn for the worse.

By which I mean after a really good qualifying (with me up in pole position), I went for a shower to get my body temperature down...

And failed.

It turns out, I had somehow contracted Addie's bug, and was now down with fever.

~~~~~~

I got ready early on Sunday, ready to get to the track.

Thankfully, no one was aware about my illness, which meant I'd be free until after the race. When they took the medical check-ups.

After double checking that I looked normal (and not like the walking dead), I woke Charles up and coaxed him to get ready.

And about 10 minutes later, the two of us were down in the dining hall, loading up for the race.

After breakfast, Charles and I got into the car and drove off to the track, where we spent the rest of the day getting ready for the race.

All of it went smoothly, and I was able to keep the worst of my headache at bay, until after I had changed into my 'racing finery'. Then, my fever got worse and I started shivering.

I pulled my overalls up, so they were no longer tied at my waist, and grabbed my jacket from the driver's room, wrapping it around my shivering form.

I went and stood at the front of the garage near the warm tyres, my teeth chattering madly.

While I was standing there, I heard someone shuffling behind me. And the faint sounds of music.

I turned to face the person.

"Hey, Kim."

Charles smiled at me, he had his earphones in, and his hair was a dishevelled mess, but he still looked as handsome as ever.

"Hey."

I returned the smile weakly.

Charles' smile faded.

"Is everything okay?"

I nodded.

"It's just a little cold."

Charles' eyes widened.

"What are you taking about? It's boiling! Wait- are you wearing a jacket over your overalls?"

I smiled nervously.

"... No?"

"Are you okay?"

"Yes! I'm fine." I sneezed.

"Are you sure?"

I nodded- or at least tried to- but got lost in a fit of coughs.

"Okay, no. You aren't. What's wrong?"

"Nothing! I swear!"

Charles glared at me.

"Do not lie to me, Kim. I'm not stupid!"

"I know! But I swear I'm-"

I got interrupted by Kymara joining the scene.

"Time to get strapped in, love."

I nodded and smiled at her, before turning back to Charles.

"I'll see you later... All the best."

"You too."

Then, I turned and left with Kymara.

~~~~~~

I sat shivering in my car on the grid, with engineers and mechanics bustling around me, double checking the car.

Pole position was a lonely place to be in. Strategically good, but lonely.

After what felt like an eternity of chattering teeth, and shivering hands and legs and well, the whole of me in general, the grid started to clear, the huge Rolex wall clock chimed fifteen hundred hours and the signals went off for formation lap.

I kept turning the steering wheel, trying to get heat into my tyres, while I navigated the Portimao track.

Finally, I got back to my place on the grid, and the rest of the cars filed in behind me.

The signals came alive once again. The first red light, the second red light, the third red light, the fourth red light...

Then, the last red light flashed and time itself slowed.

Suddenly, the lights went out and I stepped on the accelarator.