...And Everyone Looks Shocked

I stayed frozen, not sure what to do or say.

Charles tapped me on the shoulder.

"Are you okay?"

I didn't answer him. So, he followed my gaze to Papa.

His jaw dropped and his eyes widened.

"Is that...?"

Addie heard Charles, and she too turned around to investigate.

Her jaw dropped as well.

"Kim... That's..."

Then, if things weren't bad enough, Papa saw us.

"Kim!" He walked towards me.

Addie and Charles turned to stare at me this time.

"He's knows you?" Addie asked

I smiled sheepishly.

"Race car!" Papa shouted, increasing his pace. "We have to leave!"

"What?"

"He's here!" Papa said. It was faint, but I could swear he said something about Warden.

I froze up again.

God! I hated feeling so helpless!

Papa neared us, and I could now see the fear on his face.

"Kim, Warden's here. We have to leave."

Addie and Charles look bewildered.

"What's going on here? Who's Warden?" Addie asked

"More importantly, how do you know him? Also, no offence, sir, but you're supposed to be dead." Charles said, pointing at Papa.

Seeing as I was still frozen, Papa took over.

"I promise I'll explain. But right now, we need to leave this place."

Irene, who had stayed quiet this whole time, suddenly came to life.

"You guys think too much! Come on! Let's follow the old man!"

She grinned at Papa, and Papa grinned back.

"I like this girl. What's your name little one?"

"My name is Irene, Mr... Old man?"

Papa chuckled.

"That's a nice name. And unfortunately, you are also right. We need to go, Kim. Please!"

The urgency in Papa's voice pulled me out of my shock.

I cleared my throat.

"Uh, yeah. We do need to leave."

Irene jumped out of my arms again, and grabbed Charles' and Addie's hands, while Papa took mine.

"Follow me."

And we did. We followed him to the entrance of the park.

"You guys need to stay here, please. I have to leave now. I think I may be able to keep Warden away."

"Wait! You can't leave! You promised us an explanation!" Addie exclaimed.

I cringed.

"You're right," Papa agreed. "Hurry, then. What do you want to know?"

"Who is Warden?"

Papa winced.

"I can't explain that. That's Kim's to tell."

"Fine, then. How do you know Kim, and how are you alive?" Charles asked. "I mean, I was at your funeral!"

Papa smiled.

"Oh, so Kim hasn't told you... Well, it's time to spoil the surprise. I'm Kim's grandfather. And, I am dead. It's only Kim's power that keeps my spirit here. Anchored to this world. Usually, I can only appear when Kim summons me. But this is time, it was fear and danger that brought me here. You could call in an... 'Unconcious Summon'. Does that answer your question?"

Charles nodded wordlessly, his jaw having dropped a long way.

Papa smiled and turned to me.

"Kim, I have to go now. I know how to keep Warden at bay, but I don't think..."

"What? No, then don't do it! What was your plan, anyway...?" I asked.

Then, realisation dawned on me. Papa was going to use his life force to keep Warden away from me!

"No. Papa, don't. You can't! Please, don't do this! I'll deal with Warden on my own. Please... Don't use your life force to save me. I'll do it on my own!"

Papa shook his head, smiling.

"It's still about everyone else, isn't it? Well, we're fine, Kim. You have friends and family to help you. It's our primary function. Well, that and loving and caring for you. But we'll be useless if you don't let us do what we have to. Please, understand. I'm an old, dead man. You're a 21-year-old beauty that I couldn't be more proud of. You have your whole life ahead of you! Your future children to take care of, your future boyfriend or husband to love. I've done all that. I've lived my life. So, let me do this last thing for you. Please?"

I sighed.

"Come here." Papa spread his arms.

I moved forward and hugged him.

"I love you, Papa. I love you so much..."

"I love you too, my Little Race Car. Remember sweetheart, this isn't good-bye. I swear to you, I'll see you again."

I tightened my grip on Papa.

"I don't think I'd have it any other way."

Papa kissed the top of my head.

"Bye, Kim. I'll see you soon."

Then he pulled away and walked back to where he found us.

I felt like my entire world was crumbling. I had finally lost everyone. I think I even lost a part of me today.

Addie and Charles pulled me into a hug. And even little Irene clutched my legs.

"It's going to be okay, aunt Kimmy. Please, don't be sad."

Charles nodded.

"She's right, you know. Your grand-dad told you he'd be back. So, honestly you have nothing to worry about."

Addie sighed.

"As much as it pains me to say this... Yes, Charles is right. We know we'll never be your grand-dad. He was an amazing person, and I can say that for sure, but we're still... Us. And we'll still be here for you. You'll never be alone."

Irene gasped.

"Mommy's talking wise stuff! Everybody clap!"

Everyone chuckled at Irene.

"What?" She asked innocently.

"Nothing, sweetheart. I love you, you know that?" Addie replied, with nothing but affection in her eyes.

Irene smiled and hugged Addie.

"I love you too, mommy."

I captured a picture of the two of them hugging. They were so sweet!

Until Addie decided to break the silence.

"Also on the topic of your grandfather... Kim, how could you not tell us you're the grand-daughter of Niki fricking Lauda?"