Irene Gets Adam's Number

I swam around the pool, heating my body up, and staying as far away from Irene and Adam as I could, until Adam beckoned me over.

"Kim! Come play with us!"

I grinned and swam over.

"Hello! What are you guys playing?" That's when I noticed that Irene was shivering.

I pulled her close to me, almost hugging her in the water.

"Is that better?"

She nodded.

"We're playing tag. Do you want to join us?"

"Sure! Who's the den?"

"Well, we were hoping you could be den?" Adam asked nervously.

"Sure! Just be carful near the deep end, okay? And call out if you face any problems."

Irene nodded against my neck, and Adam grinned in response.

I let Irene go.

"Swim around a little, you'll stop feeling the cold."

Irene nodded again before swimming off with perfect freestyle.

I counted to ten before I launched myself off the wall, swimming after Irene and Adam. We were the only ones in the open-aired pool, and judging from the temperature, I could see why.

I saw someone dragging their feet in the water, and I swam towards them, only to break the surface to find Adam's grandma.

"Oh, hi there! Sorry I thought you were one of the smallies."

The old lady laughed.

"Oh, no. I don't think I can pass for a child anymore."

"Not true!" I laughed. "You don't look a day over 12!"

The old lady smiled.

"We've met before, haven't we? Portugal, if I'm not mistaken..."

"Yes, actually. You had told me-"

"That you and Charles would make the perfect couple and great parents. I remember now. I was right, wasn't I, sugar plum?"

I blushed.

"Completely. I never got your name, though mam."

"Mam? Girl, you just said I don't look a day over 12!"

"Sorry, old habits die hard."

She chuckled.

"Eleanor. Though everyone calls me Ellie." 

"In that case, it's nice to meet you, Ellie."

"Likewise, Kim. Now go, we'll speak later, I think the children are waiting for you to catch them."

I smiled at her one last time before I dove, yet again into the water.

~~~~~~

I planted my arms firmly on the pool wall before lifting myself out of the water. It was almost 6:30 now, and my arms were exhausted from the amount of work they'd done.

Once I was on the wall, I carefully extracted Irene and Adam as well from the pool, and walked towards the showers with them tailing me.

Quickly, I gave Irene some fresh clothes, and she and I showered. Adam somehow managed to hold his own, despite my many offers to get Charles to help him. But then again, he was slightly older than Irene.

Once we had showered and changed, the three of us headed off to find Charles and Eleanor.

Well, we didn't have to go very far. Charles was gathering our stuff from everywhere, and Eleanor was helping him.

"Hey, there!" I said, to get their attention.

Charles looked up and smiled tightly, and Eleanor's face broke out into a grin.

"Hi, there."

"Grams!" Adam exclaimed, grinning.

"Hello, Adam! How was your swim darling?"

Adam's grin grew impossible wider.

"It was so good! Me and Kim and Irene played tag, and then me and Irene lazed around and talked and had so much fun! Irene is so awesome."

Irene blushed at the praise and hid behind my leg.

Eleanor looked up at me knowingly, and I smiled.

"I'm glad to know you had fun, Adam. But we have to go now, so I'd like you to say thank you to Kim and Irene."

Sad expressions graced Adam's and Irene's faces, and I felt sorry for them.

"Hey, how about this? Why don't you give me a way of contacting you, and you and Irene can stay in touch, via my phone, or her mum's phone and perhaps your Grammy's phone or something like that?"

Adam's expression lifted immediately, and he looked at Eleanor hopefully.

Eleanor chuckled.

"That's actually a good idea. Can I have your phone?"

I smiled happily, and handed it over.

Eleanor saved her number in my phone, and I did the same for her's.

Then, we all said goodbye, and headed to our room, so Charles could get ready for dinner.