Ghost

Dedicated to Navya73. A friend who stands by me, even when I crash and burn.

~~~~~~

Our little group stood by Kim's car, completely unbothered by the flames, while sorrow and grief blanketed us all.

But the people who seemed most affected, were Lewis and Charles.

"I never got to tell you, I liked you, Kim. I'm sorry. I'm so damn sorry. I just wish..."

Lewis wrapped his arms around Charles, and Charles deflated at his touch.

Soon, a big group gathered behind us, and tears ran down each of their faces.

But the silence... The sheer silence in respect for Kim, is what hit me the hardest.

Irene ran over to me, and hugged my legs. She was in ruins.

I left go of Lando and picked her up.

"Aunty Kim, mommy. What happened? Is she dead?" She sobbed out.

I shook my head.

I couldn't tell her about Kim, but something also prevented me from saying she was dead.

It almost felt like a lie...

Could it be?

My suspicions were confirmed when a part of the car moved.

It moved very slightly, but it moved for sure.

And I wasn't the only one who saw it.

Mattia yelled at trackside assistance to help move the destroyed sidepod of the car, and suddenly everyone came to life with new strength.

No one wanted Kim to be gone, and if there was any hope... We'd cling to it. She was our heart and soul, and we weren't going to give up on her.

Trackside assistance did their best to move the damaged pod, even though it was on fire.

But with every passing minute, hope dwindled...

Until finally, the whole thing had been moved.

And there, amongst the wreckage, with severe burns, and all sorts of other injuries, lay Kim.

Hurt, but alive.

The medics rushed in immediately, pulling her out carefully.

None of her bones seemed to be broken, but her burns...

I pulled Irene out of view of Kim, not wanting her to be disturbed, and left her with Kymara, who had a weak stomach, and couldn't bear the sight of Kim.

"I'll take care of her," she promised me.

I nodded, trusting that she would, and headed back to the front.

"She's not letting us move her. She said she wants to talk to you." One of the medics said, approaching me.

Confusion sprawled across my face, as I approached Kim.

"Hey..."

"Addie..." Her weak voice drawled. "So, it turns out you were right."

"Hey, no! This is not the time for telling me I was right. You need to go to the hospital."

Kim shook her head.

"Nope, I need to go home. I know how to heal myself."

What?

"Kim, please. Listen to me."

"No, Addie."

"Kim!"

"Addie!"

"Kim!"

"Addie!"

"Stop it!"

"No!"

"Yes!"

"No!"

"Yes!"

"Fine! I'll go to the hospital."

"Gee, how considerate of you."

"I know. Also, come here. I think I'm ready to tell you."

She whispered something in my ear, and then pushed her last thought before impact into my head.

"I know you're my best friend, but don't you dare tell him. Got it?"

"Got what?" Charles asked.

"Nothing." I said, smirking at Kim.

She shot me a warning look.

"Okay, I'm dying now. Please take me to the hospital."

I laughed.

I called the paramedics in and Charles and I watched as they took her away.

Charles wrapped an arm around my shoulders.

"So, you are going to tell me what she told you, right?"

"Of course! But now, let's go tail her. I think she wants us at the hospital."