Charles Has a Heart Attack

I stared at my reflection, completely dumbfounded.

This wasn't supposed to happen.

I had a protective charm around my stronger magic.

Meaning, I couldn't use it. And if I couldn't use it, my eyes couldn't change colour.

Finally, I tore my gaze away from Charles' phone and buried my face in my hands.

Another failed charm.

Suddenly, the bell rang.

Lando!

Addie ran to the answer the door, and I trudged towards the bathroom, groaning.

Great.

~~~~~~

I spent nearly an hour in the bathroom, trying to get my eyes to change colour, until finally, they did.

Triumphant, I walked out.

Charles was still outside on his laptop, and Addie, I assumed had left.

"Oh, you're out. All okay now?"

Charles asked looking up from his laptop.

I smiled.

"All good."

"That's good. Also, I can't do these reports anymore. Can we go out? Know any good places? My brother is here as well, and I wanted to go out with him, so..."

"Sure! There are plenty of places we can go. But today, why don't we go to the mall?"

"Sounds good. Let me message Arthur."

"Great, I'll go change."

~~~~~~

Half an hour later, I walked back downstairs, in a white t-shirt, black jeans and a pair of black hightops with flowery skulls on it.

Charles, was now sitting on the couch, scrolling through his phone.

I quickly went and filled a bottle of water, and joined him in the sitting room.

"All good to go?"

Charles looked up, studying me for a moment.

"White suits you," he finally decided. "You should wear it more often."

I smiled.

"Thanks for the fashion tip. Can we go now?"

"Yep! But we also have to pick up Arthur, on the way if that isn't an issue."

I thought for a moment.

"That isn't an issue. Where from, though?"

"A place called Crown hotel. Heard of it?"

"Yes. Fortunately, it's on the way. So, no added detours needed."

"Cool, then. Shall we leave?"

"Yep."

Charles threw me the keys to his Ferrari.

I grinned.

Time to give Charlie-boy a heart attack.

~~~~~~

After an hour of "Kimmy! Slow down, we're on civilian roads!", and "Kimmy! You're going to get a ticket!", And my personal favourite, "Kimmy! You're insane! Slow the hell down right now, or I will kill you!"

We finally reached Crown hotel. And standing there at the entrance, waiting for us, for Charles' brother (I assumed), Arthur.

I parked the car, and Charles and I got out.

And when I saw Charles face, I burst out laughing.

I laughed and laughed and laughed and laughed.

His face was fully white and he was sweating a lot. His pupils had also contracted so much, his eyes looked only brown.

"So, you enjoyed the ride, huh?"

He glared at me.

"You. Are. The. World's. Worst. Driver. Honestly! Are you- have you heard of brakes?"

I laughed again.

Then, a new voice joined the mix.

"Hi, there!"

I turned to the source of the voice, my eyes still watering from laughing at Charles.

"My name is Arthur. Are you Kim?"

"Hi! I am. It's nice to meet you!"

"Same here. I see you've already met my brother?"

"Yes," Charles cut in. "She's my teammate."

"Oh, you speak! I was wondering how long it would be, before you said hi to your brother."

Charles rolled his eyes, but smiled none the less.

Then the two boys embraced.

"It's been a long time, Charles."

"I know, Arthur. I'm sorry."

"That's okay, nothing to apologise for. You're here now, aren't you?"

They pulled away.

"I missed you." Arthur told Charles.

I took this as my cue to leave. It felt wrong to intrude, and staying here only reminded me of all the memories me and my sister shared.

Or rather, the memories we used to share.

Silently, I moved back to the car, getting in.

Then to keep my eyes off the brothers, I fiddled with the knobs of the car, turning the stereo on.

'Someone you loved', was playing.

Just my luck.

I stared out the window, trying not to cry as the song played. In my head, a sad powerpoint presentation ran, tuned to this song.

I sighed.

Then the door opened, so I jumped.

Charles stood there, looking at me.

"Are you feeling alright?"

I narrowed my eyes at him.

"Yes, why though?"

"Nothing, you just left, and didn't tell me."

Embarassed, I blushed.

"I know, I'm sorry. It just felt like I was intruding on you and Arthur. My sister and I..."

A look of realisation crossed Charles' face.

"Oh my god. That was so insensitive of me, I'm so sorry! Your sister maybe out of town, and you must be missing her as well, and here I am, being insensitive."

"She isn't out of town. She's dead, Charles."
I watched her die.

Charles eyes widened.

"I'm so sor-"

"Can we please, just get your brother and go? I don't want to talk about this, right now."

I said, turning to look out the window.

"I- okay."

Charles turned around and motioned to his brother to join us.

Arthur complied.

Then, when everyone was finally seated and comfortable, I changed the song and the drive began.

I glanced Charles' way, and the thing is, I couldn't help but notice his skin had begun to pale again, and he was breathing really really heavily.