Normal Again

I woke up with a smile on my face.

Yes. I woke up. Ever since I spent that nightmare filled week sleeping, I didn't fear closing my eyes anymore, so every night, I went to sleep like a normal person, and man did I love it.

Beside me, Charles groaned quietly.

His short hair had somehow managed to splay itself across his pillow giving him an adorable case of bed-hair.

I chuckled at the sight of him, and got up from the bed as quietly as I could to brush my teeth and get ready for the day. Today was the day that the summer break ended, and racing began again, and I couldn't wait to get into my car.

Quickly, and quietly, I washed my face and brushed my teeth and changed my clothes.

I yawned as I walked out of the bathroom, my jaw protesting at the foreign motion.

Charles was still asleep, and as much as it pained me, I had to wake him up... But, not before a quick photograph.

And no, it was not creepy. A girl is allowed to photograph her boyfriend, okay?

I snapped a quick photo of him and set it as my homescreen wallpaper, then I tip-toed over to him and leaned over him as carefully as I could, and kissed his cheek.

"Wake up, mon amour."

Charles stirred, and I kissed his cheek again.

"Come on, love. Wake up, we have to get to work!" I whispered.

Charles groaned again, and turned over, so that my face hovered directly above his. He opened his beautiful eyes and smiled.

"Good morning, Kim!"

I smiled.

"Good morning, Charles."

He grinned back and leant upwards to kiss me. I pulled away.

"Nuh-uh. Not until you brush your teeth."

"What?"

"You heard me. You can kiss me all you want after you brush you teeth."

Charles sighed.

"Fine."

I moved backwards, and Charles got off the bed to brush his teeth.

"I'm going down to meet Addie for breakfast. See you in 15?"

"Wow, so much love your boyfriend." Charles remarked sarcastically.

"Hey, a girl's got to gossip with her best friend and niece, okay?"

"Fine, whatever. I'll see you later." Charles rolled his eyes and stalked off to brush his teeth.

"Jeez, so moody." I muttered, pulling my shoes on.

~~~~~~

I looked up from the game I was playing with Irene, to see Charles walk into the dining hall. He headed towards us, with a laid-back smile decorating his handsome face.

"Uncle Shal!" Irene got up and ran towards him, engulfing him in a huge hug.

"Hey, Irene! How are you?"

"I just saw you yesterday, uncle Shal! I'm the same!"

Irene giggled out.

"Oh, I know. I'm just being polite."

Irene smiled and pulled Charles by the hand towards our table.

"Hey, Charles!" Addie greeted.

"Hello, Addie. What's up?"

"Nothing much. You?"

"Same. Hey, love." Charles aimed to kiss my cheek but I turned and kissed him on the lips instead.

He pulled away surprised.

"I did promise you all the kisses you could claim." I smirked.

"Oh, really? In that case..." He leaned forward and kissed me again.

"Guys... Keep it PG, please. There are kids present." Addie said, not even bothering to look up while she fed Irene.

Charles and I blushed and pulled away from each other.

"Sorry, Irene."

"No, that's okay. You looked like a princess. Can I ask you something?"

"Yes?"

"Is uncle Shal your prince charming?"

I pretended to think for a moment, before I smiled.

"Maybe he is! Will you be my prince charming, Charles?"

"Of course." Charles grinned at me.

Irene clapped.

"Yay! See mommy! Aunt Kim's Mulan and uncle Shal is general Shang. They'll live happily ever after after they battle the evil emperor!"

"Why Mulan and Shang?" I asked Irene.

"Because, I saw the movie yesterday. Also, I thought you were more of a warrior princess than a castle princess."

"Aww, thank you. Though, I'm fairly sure there's nothing wrong with being a castle princess."

"Maybe, but I can't see you being one."

"That's fair. I totally agree with you. Kim's a badass." Charles added.

"Language, uncle Shal. Also, do you know that person? He keeps looking at you." Irene asked, pointing just behind Charles.

Charles and I turned, and as soon as I caught sight of the person she was talking about, my heart stopped beating.

Standing there, holding a breakfast plate in his hand was none other than Warden Dexter.