032.

────── ✾ ────── 

december 2003

────── ✾ ────── 

Rose felt Theo's fingers brushing against hers and she got the hold of his hand. She glanced at him but he seemed to be as confused as she was. She didn't understand what was happening around her ― she was accused of being a thief and now the man she has know her entire life was not the man she thought he was. 

"What is going on?"

The silence was broken by Lucius Malfoy who had turned to look at his father. 

Slowly, everyone turned to look at Abraxas but not Narcissa ― her eyes didn't leave Rose. The young blonde could feel this but she chose to ignore Mrs Malfoy's tearful looks and focused on the two Malfoy men.

The man whom Rose has always known as Mr Kane was truly Abraxas Malfoy, father of Lucius Malfoy and grandfather of Draco Malfoy.

For Rose, he has always been Mr Kane who was a family friend of Rose's biological mother, the one who had died in childbirth. He was the one who brought her to that fire station from where she was placed into a hospital. He visited her on her birthdays, gave her presents and even shared some advice. He was a nice man, a man who seemed a little sketchy every now and then, but nice.

He was the one who practically saved Rose when she was born. He was there when Rose's mother gave birth to her, dying just minutes after Rose's early arrival. 

"Y-you must be mistaken. I am not...." Mr Kane, or Abraxas started.

Rose shook her head, her blonde hair moving effortlessly with the movement. 

"Don't lie to me," said Rose. "I'm not stupid, I know you are Mr Kane. I saw you some months ago. You gave me that bloody ring these people accuse me of stealing."

Abraxas stared Rose, his face unbothered but Rose could tell his was thinking his head through what to say or do. 

Draco was confused to say the least ― just months ago Abraxas had told Theo to break things off with Rose. How could Abraxas now be Mr Kane? None of it made any sense. 

"You better start talking," growled Cygnus who has never truly liked Abraxas Malfoy. 

Rose's bright blue eyes never left Abraxas'. She stared at him with her body shaking with anger and betrayal. She had no idea why Abraxas has pretended to be Mr Kane ― why he has been a person in her life. An important person even.  

"Just fucking tell me," Rose sighed.

Theo's hold on Rose's hand grew stronger. 

"I am Mr Kane," said Abraxas ― he knew there was no point in lying.