015.

────── ✾ ────── 

february 2003

────── ✾ ────── 

Rosemary Venice thought that the most awkward conversation she ever had to endure was when she and Theo were caught making out in Jacob's shed after a fun night with their friends. However that conversation was nothing compared to the one Rose was about to witness.

There were many words  unspoken yet the room was so loud. Every single thing that was said had a completely another meaning which Rose couldn't pick up. She could feel the family around her shooting daggers at her but she decided to ignore those. 

Everything about the manor and the people living there were strange. The way the talked like they were from the 14th century. The way they dressed like they were about to pay a visit to the Queen of England. The manor was dark and gave Rose some serious goth vibes. There was no color whatsoever if you didn't count the vases of flowers around ― roses ironically. 

The air in the room was cold and Rose wished she had brought a jacket or a cardigan to keep her warm. She wasn't paying attention to the people around her anymore. She heard them speaking but none of those questions or words were meant for her ― she knew that much. 

She could feel the family of Malfoys and Blacks looking at her every now and then for a second or two but no longer than that. The only person who truly seemed to be interested in Rose was Druella who tried to lure her into some conversation but she wasn't successful enough to get the forever stubborn Rose to participate. 

The conversations between the others however died soon after the first course was finished. It was clear to everyone and Rose that there were certain questions they wished to ask but couldn't or didn't know how to. 

Rose kept her eyes set either on the food in front of her or the family portrait above the fireplace at the other side of the room.

The portrait looked like it was from an Oscar Wilde novel. Portrait of Dorian Gray ― Rose thought although this one was of a family. 

A family of three with their blonde hair and proud looks. Everything about the portrait and the people of it made Rose uncomfortable. They saw themselves as superior and she had no idea why. It might be because of the money and wealth they seem to have or because apparently they are higher ranked as the every day's Joe and Jane.

"What do your parents do for living?" Lucius asked and Rose was rather surprised to see that she was addressed by Lucius Malfoy.

Theo's face paled. 

"Oh Mimi is a teacher. She teaches arts and english. Mima is a children's nurse," Rose said proudly.

Everyone looked at her with wide eyes like she had just turned blue or something equally strange.