004.

────── ✾ ────── 

september 2002

────── ✾ ────── 

There was one year when Rosemary didn't want to celebrate her birthday. 

She had just learned the truth of childbirth and the risks it might hold. She has known from a young age that her biological mother had died in childbirth but Rose never truly processed it until she was fourteen and her sex health teacher explained the risks. 

She was just some days from turning fifteen, and Rose didn't want to celebrate it. She has never had a relationship or any feelings towards the woman who brought her to this world since she never got to know her but that birthday, she felt guilty.

Funnily enough, it was also the year Rose met Theodore. 

The guilt Rose held inside her however left as fast as it had come. Her mothers explained her that nothing about what had happened was her fault and she shouldn't, under no circumstances, blame herself. 

Getting to know Theo also had a big impact on forgetting about her guilt. It was only three days of knowing each other and Theo told her about how his mother got ill after giving birth to him and died some time later. 

In 2002, Rose wanted to celebrate her twenty-first birthday with a blast. She had everything planned out; she would wake up, have a phone call with her mothers, eat breakfast, pack and head to the station with Theo since their train to London was going to leave at two in the afternoon. 

"Hello?" Said a very sleepy Rose on the phone.

"Happy birthday Rosie!" Mimi Ellen and Mima May cried over the phone, making Rose nearly jump.

Rose had woken up just a few minutes ago when the smell of fresh coffee wakened her senses. She didn't even have enough time to realize it was her birthday until the phone rang and Theo called her to answer. 

Rose blinked a few times, trying to adjust to the light and loud voices coming over the phone. She loved her mothers but they can be loud from time to time. Worst times are always in the mornings; they nearly caused Rose some headaches. 

"Thank you," sighed Rose once she had recovered from her mothers' well-wishes. 

"We miss you terribly," sighed May. 

Rose smiled at the words. "I miss you too but Christmas is just around the corner. We will see then."

The phone call lasted an hour and by then, Theo had managed to pack his bags for their trip to London. He was terrified and knew that if he would tell Rose that he didn't sleep at all last night because of the trip ― she would probably cancel it. Theo didn't want that so he swallowed his feelings ― it's not like this was the first time he has done that.