031.

────── ✾ ────── 

december 2003

────── ✾ ────── 

to experience the feeling of the chapter, do listen to Philip Glass' piece The Hours, from the album The Hours. 

Over the years Theo's moral compass has evolved greatly. When he was younger and more stupid, he used to bully people with Draco. He was his sidekick and while he might had not been so bad, he never stopped Draco from bullying others. Now that Theo was with Rose, his moral compass was better than he ever imagined it could be.

It made him feel good, like he wasn't the bad Death Eater his father wanted him to be. 

There was a downside to this better moral compass of his ― he had promised to see the Malfoys before taking off to Sweden for Christmas. He has seen them every now and then for dinners but Rose hasn't and he understood why. Rose had told him everything about the tea Rose had had with Narcissa.

Theo told Rose that it was alright if she wanted to stay behind and not see the Malfoys. At first, she took this offer and said that she will see them over her dead body but then curiosity took over. She wanted to see how the Malfoys celebrate Christmas. 

It was already the twentieth of December when Rose and Theo zipped their suitcases close and left Cambridge. Inez had left five days earlier but due Theo's work, he nor Rose could leave with her. 

Instead of going straight to the airport, Rose and Theo jumped on a train to Wiltshire to wish the Malfoys happy holidays ― or Theo was going to wish them that while Rose stays quiet.

Wiltshire was surprisingly beautiful with snow blankest all around and trees decorated with shimmering ice but it was nothing compared to the beauty Fjällbacka was going to be like. Rose knew this, she loved Christmas time in her hometown. 

"You don't have to talk to them. If you want, you can just stay in the foyer while I go and give them my greetings," said Theo when he and Rose approached the Manor. 

Rose grimaced as she rubbed her hands together to get some heat. "That sounds like a plan. I really don't want to see them."

Theo placed a kiss on Rose's temple and muttered. "That's all right."

The Manor got bigger and bigger the closer they got. Rose hasn't missed the place at all nor has she been there since October. She had a plan ― she was going to stay in the foyer and ignore any temptation to go and flip the finger at the Malfoys. 

From the outside, the Manor looked just as it did before the holiday season and Rose wondered was it going to be festive at all from the inside. 

She knew her home was going to be festive and happy and full of holiday spirits once she gets there. Her mothers knew how to decorate the place with beautiful decorations, they knew exactly what to do to make the place the best place on Earth.