021.

────── ✾ ──────

may 2003

────── ✾ ──────

It was the morning of Rosemary Gwendolyn Joy Venice's eleventh birthday when she received two letters. She had no idea whom they were from or why she had received them in the first place. With the excitement of a fresh eleven years old girl, Rose jumped up and down for her surprise letters but the second she read them, that excitement disappeared.

She was a witch, apparently.

Rose knew she had magic or something like it but the conformation of it threw her off. When she was younger she didn't quite understand her abilities but as she got older ― even if she was just under eleven ― she knew enough to hate her abilities. They were always making her uncomfortable, getting her in trouble. 

However the letters didn't really make any sense ― they actually managed to confuse Rose and her mothers more than anything. The surprise appearance of a woman in a long cloak and a pointy hat later on that day didn't help at all.

A professor ― the woman dressed up as a witch had introduced herself. She was a professor from one of the schools which had sent Rose a letter. The professor explained everything or everything she could explain. Apparently, she was a witch as well and told Rose and her mothers everything she knew about witches and how Rose has become one.

It was either because both or one of her parents was one, or just fate deciding that a daughter of two normal human beings should have a witch child.

Rose still can't remember the professor's name ― it was an odd one in her opinion but she will always remember that woman as the one who ruined her eleventh birthday.

Now in twenty-two years of living, Rosemary has never laughed so hard. Her stomach was physically hurting as she tried to gasp for air to fill her lungs with. She had just told her boyfriend of many years that she was a witch — a freaking magical being and all he said was that he was one too. A wizard to be more exact.

Sure she has always known that Theo was somewhat different but never did she expect him to be a wizard. She has never met another person with magic — excluding the professor of a magic school who had visited Rose and her mothers when she turned eleven.

Theo thought he had broke his girlfriend with his news. There hasn't been a time when he has made her laugh this hard — he doubted no one has. She was nearly hysterical and for a moment Theo thought about getting Inez to help him.

"This is fucking great," cried Rose between her laughs. "You are a wizard. A freaking wizard."

"Rose, why won't you calm down?" Theo asked carefully.

"Calm down? I just told you that I am a witch and all you could say was that you are a wizard? I mean this is just perfect," said Rose, her voice full of sarcasm. "Do you know how scared I was? I was loosing my mind that once I tell you this, you would leave me."