030.

────── ✾ ────── 

october 2003

────── ✾ ────── 

Rose thought Narcissa Malfoy was scary. The woman looked like an ice sculpture with her cold exterior and empty gaze. She reminded Rose of a witch from children's stories which Narcissa sort of was ― a witch. Rose understood that the woman was never going to be her biggest fan, according to Narcissa and everyone in her family, Rose was the reason why Theo's been away.

For whatever reason, Narcissa had invited Rose to meet her at the manor. Rose thought that perhaps Druella had revealed her and Rose's meeting and now Narcissa wanted to talk about it. But she couldn't be sure so all she had to do was to wait for Narcissa to speak.

Rose nervously glanced around as she sat by a round table, Narcissa just right across her. 

"Lovely day," said Rose once the silence surrounding them was too much to bear and she was feeling so uncomfortable that she thought about running away. 

Narcissa just nodded before bringing her tea cup on her lips and taking a sip.

The silence between them was painful and Rose wondered what she had done to deserve all this bad treatment. The only thing she could come up with was that she was with Theo which did not please the Malfoys, especially Narcissa Malfoy.

Rose waited for Narcissa to speak. She didn't care what the woman was going to say, she just wanted her to say something. 

"Okay, listen Mrs Malfoy..." Rose sighed as she started to fidget her fingers out of a nervous habit. "I understand you don't like me and I am not asking you to but you are the one who invited me here, so I bet there's a reason for it. Would you care to explain me the nature of this visit or should I just leave?"

The woman watched her without even blinking. Her gaze was still and unbothered ― Rose could turn into an owl and Narcissa wouldn't blink an eye.

"I heard about the little talk you had with my mother, and my son," Narcissa said finally. "The talk where you tried to fish information regarding my family, and the talk where you and my mother seemed to have bonded over. She told me she talked about loss and how my husband and I fear loosing Theodore."

Rose has never heard Narcissa speak more than three words.

"Yeah well you have been very vague about everything and I figured that if there's a legitimate reason why you hate me, other than me being with Theo, I would like to know it," said Rose briskly. 

Narcissa shook her head lightly. "I don't hate you, Miss Venice. I just don't think you are what Theo needs."

"Really? Because when I met Theo, he was a mess. Then after being with me and my family and friends, he got better. I think I am exactly what Theo needs," explained Rose.