XLI

Inauspicious

Inauspicious

Ashanti did not turn her head to look at Giovanni while walking towards the door. Pagkapasok na pagkapasok pa lamang ay una niyang nakita ang aligagang kasambahay na may hawak na telepono. The maid immediately put down the phone as soon as she saw her.

"G-good evening, Young Miss," the maid -- Rosa greeted her with a quavering voice. She was about to cry and panic was all over her face. Ashanti creased her forehead. "Good evening. Is my food ready?"

Rosa looked down as she began to calm herself. "Tapos na po, Young Miss. Ihahanda ko na lang po."

"Is there something wrong? You seem scared," she asked. Tila takot ito sa mga susunod niyang gagawin kahit na wala siyang kaalam-alam sa nangyayari. The maid clamped her hands as she started to open her mouth again.

"Ano po kasi, Young Miss... G-gusto ko po sanang magpaalam na kung pwedeng m-makapag day off po ako bukas..."

Ashanti was about to ask when Rosa lifted her head and interrupted her speech.

"P-pero ayos lang po kung hindi! Itutuloy ko na lang po 'yung ginagawa ko sa mini library."

So she was the one who got assigned to clean the mini library for tomorrow. Ashanti needed that room to study for her next examination but instead of getting mad, she looked at her with confusion on the face.

"If you need the day off, then it's fine. I'll just choose another maid to do the work."

"Talaga po? Maraming salamat, Young Miss!" tuwang tuwang sinabi nito. "Kailangan na kailangan ko lang po talaga. Natakot po akong baka 'di mo ako payagan kaya salamat po talaga!"

"Can I ask why? But it's fine if you don't want to say it."

Rosa's face softened and was nearly to cry again. Her hands also trembled while starting to utter the words.

"K-kasi po... 'yung nanay ko po inatake ng sakit niya." She sobbed. "Kanina ko lang po nalaman at nasa ospital po siya ngayon. Wala pong ibang kasama si mama maliban sa nakababata kong kapatid kaya kailangan ko po silang puntahan."

Ashanti used her palm to cover her slightly separated mouth. Rosa was rubbing her cheeks, aiming to get rid of her tears. Her expression showed how much she loves her family. Ashanti nodded and tapped Rosa's shoulders which made the maid stunned.

"I hope your mother gets well soon. You can take your day off, or even a week to assist your mother and sibling. Do you have enough money for the fees? I'll cover it up for you."