Page 91: Redemption

Mars' POV

I am hating the fact that I am not capable of using spells. Jumping as far as I can is not fast enough and I am worried that my friend is having troubles. I land as softly as I can, but the next jump I bet is uncomfortable. While I was thinking at how should I handle this, I spotted my son wounded and having trouble against an easy enemy like that dragon. I was gonna ignore that to be completely honest, Oberon was there and my son is not that weak, but with a low whisper Astraea begged me to help them. And so I did. I tried to move as less as possible, but since Astra did not complain or vocalized his distress, I want to believe I nailed that.

"We are almost there, my friend." I whisper to him and he nods in the crook of my neck. I am worried for his health, that's why I am taking him to Young Aslan's pupil for a check up.

Yes, Oberon mentioned that he'd be weak and confused, but I wasn't expecting this. He barely remembers what happened, he is confused about what century this is and he asked why he is so tired and with his body aching in pain. I could not answer any of his questions in fear of his reactions, but I managed to calm him down enough to let me help him and take him back home.

I hope someone can fix him. I spot the palace and I manage to land on the rail of the terrace. I start to look for the pupil and I find him with the corner of my eye, thank god I have a sharp sight. "Young Lacuna!"

I find reassurance when his eyes mechanically fall on the person in my arms and his professional side shines through right away. His soft lineaments get stiffer as a serious expression rests on his face. "Lord Astraea? Can you hear my voice?"

I stay still, slightly bended so the kid can examine my friend and then decide. I'm aware that Astraea is very heavy and pretty tall, so not everyone is able to carry him like I'm doing right now.

"He is sicker than I thought. Follow me, we have to treat him now." despite being way shorter than me, this kid has long legs that a few strides make him walk fast. I'm impressed, since he is a human.

But this is not the time to admire others' traits, my friend is sick. I trot behind the little kid and enter the same medical room I was a few days ago. I listen to whatever Lacuna says, and I stand close so he can command me to quicken this procedure. I don't mind being bossed around, for me is new knowledge and I shall be grateful for it. I mean, I have medical knowledge myself but not as specific and vast like Aslan's and his pupil.

"Lord, do you recognize me?" Lacuna moves fast across the room and seems preoccupied, which I don't like either. "My Lord?"

My knowledge assures me that Astra has a very high fever and his body is slowly shutting down to heal, but that's not worrying for me. He'd fall asleep again, not a big deal. What Lacuna's experiences make him see that I don't? I stay out of the way, but still available to be used if that means I can end my friend's pain. I keep a close eye on him but also on the young doctor who keeps calling for Astra, asking him basic and easy questions to see if he is responsive.

"La....cun...a...?" finally Astra responds to the numerous calls, but moves in a lethargic way. "I.... can't.... breathe...."

To that statement, I grow scared. That's why he's wheezing that hard; I thought it was the fever. I bite my lip to keep myself composed and ready to do anything. I wait until Lacuna will order me around to help, but it is challenging to keep patience under control when it's fueled by anxiety.

"He has excessive fluids that obstruct the diaphragm, that's why he has a hard time breathing." with a single look I know the next words are for me. Finally. "Under the shelves there are drawers, open the third one and bring it here, please."