Page 104: Our Hero

Astraea's POV

I sit in my chambers waiting for the signal from the humans' world. After I helped Asta with his fight, silence returned to surround me. Everything in my lands is so calm, never I felt these nights like this; so peaceful, almost empty. I've locked myself here since the last meeting, I have a message to reveal, but I'm afraid I am not strong enough yet. I hold the Grimoire my daughter gave me, not able to open it even to peek. I have no strength to accept that my senior, my only teacher left this world the moment I finally managed to find him. I searched for ages, throughout any dimension I could go, even a hint, a poem about him would have been enough of a lead for me to track his position, but I always returned empty-handed.

Until I decided to save Y/n from that freezing night and brought her home. Since she arrived, all slowly began to turn for the better, my stars were happier to look after someone weaker than me, they felt fulfilled and more than glad to teach her stuff and to make sure she'd grow into a woman of noble principles. Like gears in a clock, with time Y/n made choices that slowly led me to Yaniv. Byakko and Phoenix were ready to kill him as soon as the battle at the Underwater Temple was over, but my little girl stood her ground and protected him until the day I met him again.
To be honest, I was expecting Yaniv to grow loyal to my daughter with time, but never I would have thought he'd come to me to ask for knowledge and power. He trains hardily, he first learnt the basics with the few children we have, then he chose his own teacher, and I was surprised when he chose Phoenix. Yaniv is doing his very best, he trains, studies everything can be useful and always helps others; all of this because he wants to be a servant worthy of staying by Y/n's side.
I chuckle at the memory that he grew some confidence to be bold enough to tell me that I don't need any guard in the first place, Byakkomaru is enough. He added that I don't need another star in my Grimoire, that's why he's dedicating himself to my little one. That statement put me at ease at the thought of leaving her for a while, she will be fine with Yaniv by his side.

But then I failed to protect her and Oscura decided to make her his heir. That was a relief, I'm sure now I'll see her again when I'll wake up, but mostly, she won't need help no longer. Do not get me wrong, I am happy, but I feel ashamed and empty. Maybe because I lost my teacher before I could talk with him one last time, because I feel guilty of showing too many times my weak side to my daughter, forcing her to take the name of a Lord...

"Master, one day you showed up and started explaining things I could not understand. You gave me the weight I carry since that night, yet not once it felt too heavy." I speak to the book, caressing it like the precious object it is. "I never asked to be like this, but before Oberon came, you Master were the one..." I stop to bite my lips and try to compose myself to avoid crying.

Once my lids close though, all I see is him in the darkness he always came from. I see him, I almost hear his voice humming a poem lost in time, left engraved in my memory. I rest my head on the back of my chair as I gaze at the sky, mirroring the action of my younger self, hoping to recall my dear Master back to my side.

"♪The child without a name grew up to be the hand to watch you, to shield you or kill on demand. The choice he'd made he could not comprehend, his blood a grim secret they had to command... He's torn between his honor and the true love of his life; he prayed for both but was denied...♪"

It's sadly nostalgic. Singing to the stars in an absolute silence, all alone. Before meeting Master, before Oberon, Aslan, Atlanta and the others, singing to the stars is the only memory I have of my parents, unfortunately I don't remember which one. The only thing left is a sentenced said by a voice I do not recognize anymore. While I was taken away, it said to me: 'It's that heart of gold and stardust soul that makes you so beautiful. Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet'.
Since I was confined inside that tiny and ruined temple, I have sang to the gems of the night, for I mustn't look down at my feet, but up at the stars.