Page 27: Chaos

Asta's POV

I was not ready to be dragged and only God knows where. Now I'm soaked wet, looking for an hairpin where the glossy ground makes everything shiny and the research much harder. How do I look for something shiny in a shiny ambience?

Test, test, test. Can you all hear me?

"The priest?" I look up wondering what the hell is going on.

You've been scattered to different areas inside the temple. Starting now, you'll face off against the temple mages. Ten-on-ten.

Ten? Weren't we eleven when we came? Did I count wrong? I sit on my knees to pay attention. Am I that stupid to not know how to count anymore? The chances are low, but never zero.

"Found it!" Y/n's cheeks get flushed with a light pink when the ornament is finally in her hands. "Thank you so much Asta!"

"Huh?" I tilt my head when she happily smiles at me. "I did nothing...?"

"You helped me, so thank you." I accept the gratitude even if I still believe I did nothing to deserve it, I'm not the one who found the thing. That hairpin must be very important to her.

The rules are simple. If you knock out your opponent, you win. If your opponent gives up, you win. Victory goes to the first team to wipe out the other team, or whichever team has the most members left in the end.

"We're gonna win." Captain Yami's voice echoes in the Temple. "Oi Y/n, beat everyone already!"

"Captain, do you remember that I don't use magic against humans, right?" inquires the girl fixing her hairpin on the big ponytail. "What about you help us instead, sir?"

"It's fine, they're fishes anyways." Yami laughs and Y/n facepalms herself. "I'm keeping company to the old man, don't worry you'll be fine without magic."

"Easy to say, I have vows to respect." she whispers in a sigh, encouraging me to walk around and see if we can find someone.

The game started, now I and Y/n are looking for those fighters, but it seems nobody is trying to stop us. My friend looks a little bothered when she looks at the roof of the cave, and I get curious.

"Why you look bothered by the roof? Is something wrong with it?" I ask unable to stop myself. Maybe if she talks about it she might get a new prospective, I guess?

"I can't see the sky and it sucks. It's like I lost my compass, and I feel a bit anxious about it." she replies channeling those feelings into her voice.

Oh now that I think about it, she always look at the sky and then take act. I scratch my head and after a deep breath, I ask it: "Why you always look at the sky? I mean, there's nothing wrong with it, I feel though that you do it in a different way than just relax or hope for something."

"Well, the sky is an extension of my sight. Thanks to a member of my family, I can use the sky as my own eyes. I'm able to see miles and miles away from where I am, I can keep on check someone or something, it's really useful and reassuring."

"That's so dope!" I exclaim excited. "So you can still see me if I go to another kingdom?"

"Yeah, I can." she chuckles at my hype. "Now that I have to rely on my senses that aren't as fine as my spirit's. I might catch late a danger, react late and lose a golden chance. It's stressing me out."

I can't reassure her that the first duo of the fighters of the temple show up. I and Y/n stop to study them and with a quick peek, she looks rather confused than alarmed. My attention quickly move to our opponents and their words.