Glossary For The Previous Chapters

Adonis
- a youth of remarkable beauty and the favourite of the goddess Aphrodite, depicted as one of her mortal lovers.

Alcyoneus
- a traditional opponent of the hero Heracles. He was usually considered to be the King of the Thracian Gigantes, an offspring of Gaia born from the blood of the castrated Uranus.

Anthedon
- a town in Boeotia, Ancient Greece, located on the coast of the Gulf of Euboea, about 15 kilometres west of Chalcis, at the foot of Mount Messapius. It was member of the Amphictyonic League, and served as port for Thebes.

Atropa Belladonna
- commonly known as belladonna or deadly nightshade which is a toxic perennial herbaceous plant in the nightshade family Solanaceae.

Diomedes
- the commander of 80 Argive ships and one of the most respected leaders in the Trojan War. His famous exploits include the wounding of Aphrodite, the slaughter of Rhesus and his Thracians, and seizure of the Trojan Palladium, the sacred image of the goddess Pallas Athena that protected Troy.

Erymanthus
- son of Apollo, who saw Aphrodite bathing naked after making love with Adonis, and was blinded by the angry goddess.

Eurymedon
- the king of the Gigantes (Giants) of Pallene who led his people to their doom in a war against the gods.

Gigantomachy
- one of Greece's most well-known tales describing the ancient conflict between the Olympian gods and giants. The gods were attacked by Giants, according to the tale, but the Olympians discovered that they could only triumph if a mortal assisted them in battle.

Heracles
- one of the most famous Greco-Roman legendary heroes. The son of Zeus and Alcmene, granddaughter of Perseus.

Hibernaculum
- a place in which a creature seeks refuge, such as a bear using a cave to overwinter.

Iphimedeia
- or Iphimede, was a Thessalian princess and a lover of Poseidon in Greek mythology, and by the god, she became mother of the Aloadae.

Island of Scheria
- also known as Scherie and Phaeacia or Faiakia, was a region in Greek mythology, first mentioned in Homer's Odyssey as the home of the Phaeacians and the last destination of Odysseus in his 10-year journey before returning home to Ithaca.

King Cinyras
- a famous hero and king of Cyprus. In many sources, he is associated with the cult of Aphrodite on Cyprus, and Adonis, a consort of Aphrodite, is mentioned as his son.

Mendeis
- a Thracian nymph who became the mother of Pallene by King Sithon. Her husband had the habit of killing one by one the suitors of her daughter

Mount Messapius
- a small mountain range located in the northeastern part of Boeotia and the mainland part of Euboea regional unit in central Greece. It borders on the North Euboean Gulf and the Euripus Strait to the north and east.

Mount Parnassus
- a mountain in central Greece that towers above Delphi. According to Greek mythology, this mountain was sacred to Apollo and the home of the Muses.

Myrrha
- also known as Smyrna or Zmyrna, the legendary Levantine beauty who conceived an incestuous passion for her father (Theias of Assyria or Cinyras of Cyprus) and consequently, Adonis. She was transformed into a tree whose bark weeps the eponymous myrrh.

Otus & Ephialtes
- the twin giant sons of Poseidon and Iphimedeia also known as the Aloadae. They were giant demigods who tested the might of the gods and attempted to rape Artemis and Hera, resulting to their deaths.

Ouroboros
- an emblematic serpent of ancient Egypt and Greece represented with its tail in its mouth, continually devouring itself and being reborn from itself.

Pallene
- one of the Alcyonides, daughters of the giant Alcyoneus. She was the sister of Alkippe, Anthe, Asteria, Drimo, Methone and Phthonia.

Periboea
- the youngest daughter of giant-king Eurymedon and the mother by Poseidon of Nausithoos, the first king of the Phaiakes (Phaeacians). The Phaiakes were a mythical sea-faring race famed for their encounter with the hero Odysseus.

Porphyrion
- the king of the Gigantes of Pallene who waged war on the gods. He was struck down by Herakles and Zeus with arrows and a bolt of lightning when he tried to violate the goddess Hera on the battlefield.

Temple of Apollo in Delphi
- located on Mount Parnassos in Central Greece, the Temple of Apollo at Delphi is part of the Panhellenic Sanctuary at Delphi and occupies a remote, but central location relative to Greek settlements. The temple's heightened position upon the mountain signifies both the prominence of Apollo and the sanctuary itself.

The Bronze Age
- a historic period, lasting approximately from 3300 BCE to 1200 BCE, characterized by the use of bronze, the presence of writing in some areas, and other early features of urban civilization.

The Iron Age
- is the final epoch of the three-age division of the prehistory and protohistory of humanity. The Iron Age begins locally when the production of iron or steel has advanced to the point where iron tools and weapons replace their bronze equivalents in common use.

Tomb of Iphimedeia
- was shown at Anthedon. At Mylasia in Caria, she was revered as a goddess, and Polygnotus depicted her in the Lesche at Delphi.

-Three Stages of the Ancient Greek Funeral-

The Prothesis
- the laying out of the body.

The Ekphora
- transportation to the place of interment.

The Interment
- the deposition of the body or cremated remains into the ground.

_______________________________________

Sources:

https://www.theoi.com/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

https://www.britannica.com/

https://www.greekmythology.com/