CHAPTER I: Η ερωμένη της κακίας και των αρετών

001- THE MISTRESS OF VICE AND VIRTUES

It seems only yesterday when I used to believe that the gods and goddesses' existence were only tall tales made-up by our ancestors who lived thousands of years in the past.

Tales of beings so powerful, they held up the sky, commanded the waters, and shook the earth to their own will.

In ancient Greece, came the legendary stories and myths that primarily introduced these beings.

The most famous of them were the Olympians...

The Olympians were the major gods and goddesses whom the people worshipped even since the ancient times. They were the twelve deities that resided at the summit of Mount Olympus---or so the myths have spoken of. Their names, you might've already heard of somewhere for sure...

Zeus, Hera, Poseidon, Demeter, Athena, Aphrodite, Ares, Hephaestus, Apollo, Artemis, Hermes, and either Hestia, or Dionysus.

As of now, some of you might already be wondering if I'm somehow related to them? One of them could be my mother... or father, perhaps?

That's where you're wrong.

I do not share the same blood with any of the Olympians. Nevertheless, I did start to get involved with these gods' businesses on the eve of my eighteenth birthday. The Winter Solstice of December 22.

Noon, nababasa ko lang ang mga kwento nila sa mga librong tinatalakay namin sa paaralan. Pero ngayon... Tuluyan nang nagbago ang lahat sa buhay ko, dahil sa kanila.

Don't get me wrong. I've always admired the Greek myths and thought that they were amazing. But that was until...

My completely normal life changed in a blink of an eye, on that fateful day...

"Descendant of the moon and quietus, it has been decades since the last time I gazed upon thy divinity. Youth finally becomes thee."

Infront of me stood a beautiful woman in a long, golden-colored Greek dress resembling that of a wheat field. She had lustrous and flowing dark brown hair and wore a veil over her head---though, her face was still visible. Her glowing green eyes stared at me in recognition. Napaatras ako.

"W-Who are you?", I gasped nervously. I heard her soft chuckle as she took a step forward, but still maintaining the distance between us.

"I am the Greek deity of harvest and agriculture. You may know me by the name... Demeter.", nanigas ako sa mismong kinatatayuan ko when she said those words. T-That's absurd.

"I'm dreaming. This isn't real.", I whispered beneath my breath but the goddess just smiled at me.

"Yes child, you are. But that doesn't mean that all dreams are fake.", she spoke. Her voice was softer than a sparrow's chirp. Her bright green eyes were intimidating.

Turns out... that day, I did dream of the Greek goddess of agriculture, Demeter herself. She revealed distressing secrets na kailanman ay hindi ko inasahang maririnig ko sa buong buhay ko.

"You've come of age. Your mother would be glad to see you.", she suddenly uttered with a soft smile visible on her face. My eyebrows creased.

"What are you even talking about?", I kind of gave a harsh tone with my question which was simply a natural attitude for me since I was young. I didn't even know why. I heard the goddess Demeter laugh as she shook her head and returned her gaze at me.