oO Chapter 17 Oo

BANG!

I flinched and held on to Sasha. It was 2 AM, and I could not sleep at all. I have no clue who or what was making those noises, but I did not like it. After our little seance earlier this afternoon, I was extremely on edge. I mean, in the daylight, I dismissed it but after it got dark...well, my mind was a little more open.

Sasha mumbled in her sleep and stirred, but didn't wake up. I squeezed my eyes shut and tightened my grip on her arm.

BANG!

After the second time I heard that noise, I sat up in bed and took a deep breath to calm my shaky nerves. Gingerly, I stepped out into the hallway and peered over the staircase railing to the living room downstairs. I squinted, but it was too dark to make out anything.

BANG!

I instinctively jumped backwards, but I ended up bumping into something. I whipped around quickly, into a fighting stance, but relaxed once I realised it was just Venti. I sighed in relief and leaned against the railing.

"Venti." I whispered. "What are you doing up?"

"I could ask you the same thing, (n/n)." Venti whispered back.

"D'you hear those noises too?" I asked, worriedly. "Is that spirit really gone?"

"I don't know." Venti smiled. He didn't seem very concerned about it, which was equal parts comforting and infuriating.  "The only other person awake right now is Xiao, and he certainly isn't making those noises."

BANG!

I flinched again and grabbed on to Venti's arm. He giggled quietly in response and ruffled my hair.

"Okay, how about this." Venti said quietly. "You're obviously not liking staying here, so how about we go up to the roof? I can bring my lyre and you can bring your sketchbook!"

I nodded. "Sounds good..."

As Venti moved to go to his room, my grip on him involuntarily tightened. He stopped halfway and chuckled, smiling at me teasingly. "Would you like to come with me, then?"

I opened my mouth to say something sassy, but the BANG sound came again and I nearly pounced on him. I nodded silently again and clung on to his arm, looking away. I was a teeny tiny bit embarrassed by how jumpy I was.

After getting Venti's lyre from his room, and my sketchbook from mine, we made our way up to the roof. Not gonna lie, I was a little surprised that he suggested I bring my sketchbook. I mean, I do draw to relax sometimes, but I didn't think he'd picked up on that. I mean, we haven't spent very much time together since they all came here.

I tensed a little as the cold night air hit my skin and shivered. It was a stark contrast compared to the warm, cozy atmosphere inside. 

"Do you feel better out here, (n/n)?" Venti asked, sitting down on the roof tiles. I took a little time to process the question. He looked stunning out here, to be honest. His braids swayed in the wind gently, and his gorgeous turquoise eyes seemed to glow a little against the midnight blue sky. Well. I know what I'm drawing tonight.

I shook my head lightly to clear my head and sat down beside him, opening my sketchbook.. "Yeah." I breathed a sigh of relief, having gotten away from whatever was wreaking havoc in my living room. I honestly don't even wanna know at this point. 

"That was freaky." I commented, leaning against him sleepily. What? I'd been up the entire night. It was natural that I'd feel a little drowsy.

"That's a bit of an understatement, don't you think?" Venti chuckled. "I wasn't even there for the actual summoning of that spirit, and I felt its malevolence from all the way upstairs."

"Stoooop." I grumbled, punching him lightly. "I don't even wanna go back into my house, honestly. I'm tempted to take a vacation from it."

"Really?" Venti laughed. "Where would you go?"

"Plenty of places, sweetie." I chuckled absentmindedly, my main focus on my sketchbook. "Of course, the problem with most of them is that I wouldn't be able to take you with me." I said, poking his cheek playfully.

"Huh? Why not?"

"You need official documents and stuff to travel abroad." I sighed. "I'll have to work on getting all that stuff for you guys. But, until then, I know a place where we can go."

"Hm?"

"This place called center parcs in Sherwood forest. It's not too far from here. I could probably drive there, though it would take a while. A few hours, at least." I said, yawning.

"Is it a hotel of some kind?" Venti asked softly.

"Yup. I went there once with a friend when I was little." I chuckled. "It was pretty fun. I must have been eight or so at the time. One time, we stayed up till midnight and snuck down to the kitchen to raid the fridge. Ooh, and there's so much more wildlife there than you'd see in the city. There were deer and owls and oh! My favourites too! Hedgehogs!" 

"It sounds great." Venti smiled, leaning his head on top of mine. Yes, he was able to do that, I was slouching in my seat quite a bit.

"I think..." I yawned again. "The only problem I can see is that the lodges they have there are limited to four bedrooms at the largest."

"Well, we can always share, can't we~?" Venti winked, causing me to blush and look down at my drawing.

"Shut up." I mumbled, punching him lightly. "Y'know, I think I might actually take you guys there. It was loads of fun the last time I went. I don't think I need any documents of passports or whatever for you guys. I think I'd be able to get two lodges at least, and we have Lumi's serenitea pot, so we can use that too."

"We can start proper planning in the morning." Venti chuckled. "For now, just relax."

"Alright..." I hummed. "Would you mind playing a song for me?"

"Not at all~" Venti winked. I smiled quietly as he picked up his lyre from beside him and started to strum, singing a song I didn't recognise softly. He had a good voice, actually. It's no wonder that he's the most popular bard in Mondstadt. Honestly, I felt robbed that I never got hear him sing in-game before.

"Careful, (n/n)." Venti said softly as soon as his song was over. I was half asleep, leaning on him, my pencil making messy strokes on the paper. "Don't fall asleep here. It's dangerous."

I hummed in response as I put the final touches on my pencil sketch. It wasn't anything particularly special, considering I was practically falling asleep while doing it, but I was happy with the results. 

"You're drawing me?" Venti asked, smiling widely.

"Mhm." I responded softly. "You're pretty. It'd be a crime not to draw you."

"I'm honoured." Venti giggled. He looked so genuinely happy about it, that it was impossible for me not to smile as well. I was tempted to start a new drawing of that smile, to be honest. "You look sleepy."

"Yeah, I am." I yawned. "but...I don't wanna go back inside."

"You can't sleep out here, (n/n)." Venti chuckled. "How about this- you can sleep in my room for tonight? Only if you're okay with it, of course. I'll keep you safe, don't worry~ No spirit is gonna get you while I'm here."

"That's so sweet." I smiled sleepily. "I'll take you up on that offer, mister."

"Well, then, back inside we go~"