oO Chapter 60 Oo

"Goddamn, how big is this place?!" I complained, throwing my arms up in frustration. We'd been wandering around the fatui stronghold  for at least half an hour at this point, and it felt like we were going in circles. "I swear, whoever designed this place must have been high on something!"

"Let's not get too worked up, (n/n)." Lumine chastised me. "We don't want to alert even more fatui soldiers than we already have. I'd like to avoid more fights."

"Right, yeah." I crossed my arms remembering how I stabbed that Cicin mage. A shiver traveled down my spine and I shook my head to clear away the thoughts of her blood.

"Ah, there's another room on that side." Lumine tilted her head towards one of those big sliding doors. Taking the hint, I helped her slide it open, revealing a rather large room filled with some kind of purple mist.

"Lumi, cover your mouth and nose." I said, untying the bandanna I keep tied around my wrist, and tying it over the lower half of my face, like a makeshift mask. "Don't breathe in any of the purple stuff."

"Is it harmful?" Lumine asked, wrapping her cape around her mouth and nose. It was messy, but it'd have to do for now.

"It's definitely not natural." I shrugged, walking in and surveying the room. Apart from the mist, it seemed normal enough. There was an upraised dais to one side of the room, like a stage. "And knowing Scara, it's probably not for decoration."

"Well, aren't you clever?" A voice I knew well chuckled behind us, from the dais. "You're right, (y/n)."

"Ah, hi, Scara!" I waved cheerfully. "I missed you! you should visit more often, y'know."

Scaramouche deadpanned, ignoring me.

"You!" Lumine exclaimed. "I-"

"Barely two words in, and you already look like you want me dead." Scara chuckled, a dark undertone present in his voice. "You've changed-"

"Wow, you sound kinda evil, honey." I commented, tilting my head. 

Scaramouche looked at me, glaring. "(y/n), for fucks sake, would you take this seriously?"

I gasped. "Scara, did you just swear at me?! I'm hurt!"

"Good, now shut up." He said. "You ruined it."

"You expect things to go to plan while I'm here?" I bit back a laugh, covering my mouth with my hand out of reflex, even though I was already wearing a mask. "Anyway, can we cut to the chase? As much as I love listening to you talk, we're kinda on a tight schedule here."

Scara sighed and scowled, crossing his arms. 

"Why are you distributing Delusions?" Lumine demanded, pointing her sword at him.

"Because I think it's funny when people die." Scara said mockingly, almost sassily. "Why do you think, idiot?"

"I assume to get the gnosis, but I don't see how this helps?" I questioned, tilting my head in confusion. "Shouldn't you be stirring up trouble on the Shogun's side instead?"

"Weakening the Resistance in a noticeable way would lure out you two, and therefore also lure out some powerful figures in this war." Scara explained grumpily. I think I may have ruined his relatively good mood with my antics. "Now, would you take those masks off? We're supposed to act natural, remember? Moron."

"What, so you can drug us?" Lumine narrowed her eyes at him. "I don't think so, fatui."

"See, she gets it, (y/n)." Scara gestured to Lumine. "You're supposed to act hostile."