oO Chapter 46 Oo

"Well, now that we're here, where's Thoma?" Paimon floated in midair, crossing her arms. Lumine and I had made our way to Komore teahouse, around noon for our meeting with Thoma. I was kinda shaken up by last nights revelations, to be honest. It didn't really sink in at the time, but this morning I literally woke up with this horrible feeling of anxiety at the base of my throat. Kinda like when you feel threatened, but the worst part was, there was nothing I could do to make it go away because there was so actual tangible threat to vanquish.

"Paimon doesn't see him anywhere, do you think he forgot his promise to meet us?"

I shrugged, walking forward to pet the adorable Shiba Inu sitting on the reception counter. I reached out to place a hand on its fuzzy head, but froze halfway when it seemingly 'spoke'.

"Who forgot about their promise? I was beginning to think you forgot about me!"

"Wh-what?!" Paimon exclaimed. "Is that dog talking to us?!"

"Haha, relax, there's no need to look so surprised." The 'dog' chuckled. "I take it this is the first time you've seen me in this form?"

"Where did human-looking Thoma go?" Lumine asked.

"Huh, so you didn't see anything like this when you were in Liyue Harbour?" The dog tilted its head.

"...I've met talking animals, but shapeshifters are a first." I admitted, actually petting the dog this time. 

"Ah, now that you mention it, this doesn't seem too out of the ordinary..." Paimon settled down.

"I know a dog when I see one." Lumine deadpanned.

"Alright, alright, I've had my fun." Thoma laughed and walked out from the doorway behind the counter.

"Hey!" Paimon put her hands on her hips sassily. "You're this close to getting an ugly nickname, mister!"

"Well done, I almost fell for that!" I chuckled, straightening up and stepping away from the dog.

"Haha, well, I've had some time to kill, given that I've been waiting here for you for so long...as was the case in Ritou." Thoma smiled. "But in all seriousness, I would like to apologise about that little 'test' you went through earlier. Though it was quite necessary...It helped us determine whether or not to bring you before miss Kamisato and whether you had the courage to face the lightning beside us."

"Hmph!" Paimon crossed her arms again, an aloof expression on her face. "Don't think Paimon's forgiving you just because you're serious now!"

"Haha, sorry, did I overdo it...? My apologies." Thoma smiled sheepishly, scratching the back of his head.

"So, how did we do in our 'test'?" Lumine asked.

"Let me just say this, you've often found yourself skirting the rules from the beginning, haven't you?" Thoma smiled. "Naturally this is due to your unwavering and resolute determination. Long ago, we had a friend who was much the same...but when the lightning struck..."

"You mean Kazuha's friend...?" I asked quietly, at the risk of sounding insensitive.

"Ah, so you've heard his story, hmm?" Thoma said, a wistful look in his eyes. "His light burns all the more brighter..."

"So, will we be allowed to meet the Shirasagi Himegimi?" Lumine asked, changing the topic.

"Yes, of course." Thoma nodded. "I will bring you to the Kamisato residence, where the Yashiro commission is located. But before that, I was hoping there is one other place you would accompany me to?"

"Oh?" I tilted my head slightly. "Where?"

"I would like you to come with me to the statue of the Omnipresent God. It's still under construction now, but you can already see it from practically anywhere on Narukami Island." Thoma replied.

I glanced at Lumine once and nodded. "Alright, then." I smiled, patting the dog one last time before we left. I giggled as it barked happily. I waved bye, even though I don't think it understood me.

 •❅──────✧❅✦❅✧──────❅•

"Huh, are Paimon's eyes playing tricks, or are there things embedded in the statue...?" 

"Visions." Thoma responded, his tone souring a little.

" Visions?!" Paimon exclaimed, rapidly glancing back and forth between Thoma and the statue. "You mean all the Visions from the Vision Hunt Decree are put here?!"

"So you've already heard of the Vision Hunt Decree." Thoma sighed.

"Why did the Shogun issue the Vision Hunt Decree?" Lumine asked, acting like she was genuinely confused. I mean, it was most likely because the Shogun knew the damage Visions were doing to their bearers, but...I don't know, I still harboured a few doubts.

"Before I try to explain, I should perhaps remind you first that Mondstadt is the city of freedom and Liyue is the city of contracts. As for Inazuma...it's known as the nation of eternity. The Raiden Shogun is both the city's most powerful ruler and deity. The 'eternity' in question...is her endless and unchanging will to rule over Inazuma. As such, she relies on the Tri-commission to regulate the nation's affairs and the Sakoku decree to limit the people's movement. The Shogun wishes to keep Inazuma in stasis, allowing the stream of time to flow from one end to the other without disturbing it for all time." Thoma explained.

"Seems like every god has their own will..." Paimon commented, shrugging.

"Of course, this is my own limited understanding. As for the reason behind the recent Vision Hunt Decree..." Thoma paused momentarily. "Perhaps the Shogun believes that Visions grant people the power to change, and that her eternity doesn't allow for such instability to exist. Whatever the case, the fact is that the Raiden Shogun has dispatched the Tenryou commission to scour the nation for Visions, embedding each one in this statue...and this statue of the Omnipresent god can be seen as Inazuma's symbol of eternity."

"That's...a little selfish of the Shogun, don't you think?" I murmured, absent mindedly. "Surely the effects of losing a Vision, can't be easy on the bearer."

Thoma burst into laughter. "Only outlanders such as yourselves would have the courage to speak so freely about the Raiden Shogun!"

Lumine chuckled a little, before returning her gaze to the statue. She furrowed her brows, like she was in discomfort before suddenly crying out and clutching her head. Just like it started, it was over in a flash and she recovered, groaning. 

"Lumine?" I was instantly at her side, worriedly, holding her hand and supporting her lest she fall over. "Are you okay?"

"What was that...sound just now?" She managed through gritted teeth.

"Sound?" Thoma tilted his head in confusion. "What sound? I didn't hear anything...did something happen?"

"I was just looking at the statue and..."

"You could hear the sound of people's aspirations." I realised, glancing up at the statue with contempt.

"Aspirations?" Thoma looked down, lost in thought. "That would confirm the saying...Have you heard it before? That when a person's ambition reaches a certain strength, the gods look upon them with favour."

"Ah, I've heard that." I nodded, still holding Lumine's hand. "That's how they get Visions."

"So, if what you've just said is true, then..." Thoma looked up. "The ambitions of these people are stronger than I thought. Alright." He smiled cheerily, changing the subject. "Time for our next stop on our tour of Narukami Island: the Kamisato residence."