oO Chapter 51 Oo

"So, what's the plan?" I asked Yoimiya, following her as she tinkered with something in her hands. We were wandering through the police station, and I didn't wanna say we were lost, but I wasn't entirely sure she knew where we going either. She was adamantly focused on whatever she was holding.

"Yoimiya?" I asked again, a little louder in case she didn't hear me the first time. "Yoimiya~?"

Still no response. Her brows were furrowed in concentration and her head was bent, causing her hair and accessories to hang in her face. I bit back a sigh.

Okay, new plan. "Hey, 'Miya~" I said in a sing-song voice, using a nickname for her, hoping it would startle her a little bit.

"Hm?" She looked up in surprise, her hands stilling. Success! 

"I was asking what our plan was?" I repeated, a bemused smile finding its way onto my face.

"Oh, sorry, I was so absorbed in my work that I...Well, never mind that!" Yoimiya smiled brightly. "You're an anemo user, right?"

"Yeah." I nodded in confirmation.

"Perfect!" Yoimiya beamed. "I was just finishing up assembling a firework which'll be triggered by my Vision, and pyro and anemo are very effective together~"

"Ah, I see where you're going with this." I chuckled. "However, I have no clue where we're actually going, so..." I gestured around the room vaguely.

Yoimiya giggling in response, tipping her head in the direction of a nearby sliding door. I forget what the actual term for those was. "Don't worry, I've got you!"

She crept forward, taking care to make sure her footsteps were as silent as possible. I followed suit, watching curiously as she carefully pried open the door and slipped into the next room. She glanced backwards, her finger on her lips in a gesture to be silent, and then pointed forward for me to follow her. I obeyed, as we entered a dimly lit room. We were behind a few wooden bars and I startled a little as I saw Lumine and Paimon next to us.

Lumine waved once, an almost smug self-assured  smile on her face. Well, it's understandable considering that she'd just single-handedly taken care of nearly all the guards in this building. I'd act a little cocky too.

Our attention was diverted by the groans of pain coming from the centre of the room. I immediately looked up, concern and anger flooding my nerves. I absolutely despised police brutality, considering that India had that in plentiful amounts. It was almost commonplace and it made my blood boil. I might have lived in London for most of my life, but there's a reason  I don't wanna go back to my homeland.

To no one's surprise, an old man lay on a mat in the centre of the room, with two shogunate guards standing over him. I assumed the man was Master Masakatsu from the way the guards taunted him. I narrowed my eyes at them and got ready to summon my  polearm, but before I had the chance, a new character entered.

The loud clicks from her heels striking the floor filled the room as she made her way down the stairs. She was beautiful, honestly, and I was a little taken aback that that's the first thing I noticed about her. She had a round face with a soft jawline, yet her expression commanded respect. From the way she conducted herself with such grace and formality, I assumed she must have been a high ranking general. She had an ethereal aura around her, and I got the sense that she wasn't quite human.

"Hey, you there!" Her firm voice rung out in the room, causing even me to straighten up a little. "What are you doing?!"

"A-ah, Ma'am...!" One of the guards looked up frantically, doing his best to appear innocent. It was a feeble, laughable attempt. "We were just teaching him a little lesson, t-that's all!"

"Huh? Who's that?" Paimon asked quietly. I was surprised she was able to whisper and not shout.

"That's Kujou Sara, adopted daughter of the Kujou clan of the Tenryou commission." Yoimiya explained. "She's also a general in the Shogun's army. What's she doing here?"

"I think Kazuha mentioned her..." Lumine tilted her head, trying to recall.

"Make way, let me have a look at him." Kujou Sara ordered the guards, sending them a scathing look.

They hastily moved out of her way, as she knelt down near the weak figure of Master Masakatsu. She scowled. "I'm sure you're well aware that torture is  strictly against military regulations?" She said coolly, thinly veiled anger present in her voice.

"Yes, ma'am!"

"If you are unashamed of such disgraceful action, then you are also unworthy of the Tenryou commission itself! Do I make myself clear?!"

"Y-yes, ma'am!" One of the guards exclaimed. "It won't happen again!"

I smiled a little. I was by no means on the side of the Shogun, or her army, but this particular general had my respect.

"This is our chance!" Yoimiya whispered-shouted. "Let's move while they aren't watching Master Masakatsu!"

She took a hasty step backwards, as if preparing to sprint forwards. Unfortunately, it made a quite loud noise and alerted Kujou Sara to our presence.

"Who's there?!" She questioned. After no response, she turned her attention to the guards again. "Quick, go and investigate!"

"Ah, 'Miya, I'd say it's about time for your surprise, yeah?" I glanced at her, concerned about the shogunate guards coming our way.

"Mm." She nodded once and stood up straight as her Vision began to glow. I tensed up, getting ready to back her up once the explosions started. Right on cue, the fireworks detonated and I summoned my polearm, doing the same trick where I created a whirlwind on the edge of my blade which swept up the sparks of the firework and took them higher towards the ceiling until my whirlwind finally exploded.

It drew the attention of the guards who stopped in their tracks and ran back to the source of the sound.

"Alright, let's go!" Lumine said, getting ready to run.

I nodded once and tossed up my polearm, which disentegrated in gold shards that dissolved before they reached me. I'm ready!