oO Chapter 54 Oo

"Ayaka..." I started, shifting nervously. It would have been an understatement to say that I was conflicted.  On one hand, I desperately wanted to go help Lumine and meet the Raiden Shogun, but on the other hand...I felt horribly guilty leaving Ayaka alone when she was in this state. "Listen...I have to...help Lumine..."

"But- she said to stay here." Ayaka's voice trembled and she wouldn't meet my eyes. "I don't want you to get hurt, or Lumine to get distracted by your sudden appearance."

"I..." I pursed my lips. "I'll be careful, I promise. I don't want to leave you like this, but Lumine can't handle the Raiden Shogun all by herself."

Ayaka loosened her grip on my wrist, like she'd just realised that Lumine was not, in fact, all-powerful and capable of defeating a god.

"I'm a healer." I reassured her. "I can keep her and Thoma safe."

"If I let you go...please come back safely..." Ayaka let go of me, and brought up her hand to her lips, covering her mouth.

"I'll be fine." I smiled gently. "I promise." 

I was about to step out into the street before hesitating for a moment, glancing back at Ayaka. My gaze softened and in a moment of pure impulse, I leant forward and kissed her cheek, immediately dashing out into the street after. I knew that if I stayed any longer, my resolve to leave would weaken.

I fought back a giggle as I ran through the crowded streets, making my way past all the Shogunate guards. I'd arrived just in a nick of time it seemed. Lumine had her sword drawn, staring down the Shogun, who wasn't in the slightest intimidated. I skidded to a halt, startled by the Shogun's beauty. It was a useless thing to focus on in that moment, but I couldn't help it. She was gorgeous, with her long midnight blue hair tied into a loose yet graceful braid, and amethyst eyes. 

However, I also couldn't help but notice the cold, dead look in her eyes as she gazed at Lumine with vague contempt.

I snapped back to reality and out of my Shogun-induced daze when I realised that the Shogun was moving down, towards Lumine, seemingly stepping on thin air. She summoned her polearm, while I panicked and fumbled while summoning mine. I ran as fast as my legs would carry me towards the platform in front of the statue of the Shogun and thrust my polearm upwards.

I barely managed to keep myself steady as I positioned myself in front of Lumine,  facing the Shogun. Her lips twisted a little, in a subtle scowl and it sunk in what I'd just done. I'd incurred the wrath of a god.

The polearm nearly slipped out of my hands as I shook with the effort of trying to hold my ground against the Shogun. Her polearm was bearing down on mine, as I held the polearm over my head, horizontally. 

"(y/n)?!" Lumine exclaimed, shock clear in her voice. There was also anger in her voice, but I chose not to focus on the negative until we got out of this situation and I'd have to deal with Lumine's punishment.

"Hi...Lumi..." I managed, my voice strained.

"You have a Vision." The Shogun commented, her voice monotone, like she was bored. I felt indignant at the thought that I was giving this everything I had, and she was barely breaking a sweat, and not even using her full power. "I shall see that it is inlaid upon this statue, along with your friend." The Shogun retracted her polearm, and leant forward, coming closer to my face. I would have made a 'oooh you wanna kiss me' joke normally, but right now, I was shaking in my boots.

Suddenly, she stepped backwards, tossing her head back as a purple glow emanated from her chest. She spread her arms as the glow intensified and lightning surrounded her. I watched in shock as she brought a hand to her chest, and the glow solidified into a handle for the Shogun to grasp.

"Lumine." I whisper-shouted. "Have I finally lost it or is she pulling out a fudging sword from her tits?!"

"Oh, you're definitely insane." Lumine shot back, narrowing her eyes at me. I got the strangest feeling that she wasn't happy with me.

The Shogun pulled out her katana entirely and held it over her head, purple lightning crackling about her. "Outlanders." She said, commanding the respect of everyone who listened. "You shall be inlaid upon this statue."

With those words, she brought down her katana as the world around Lumine and I was swept into pitch black. The shadows swallowed everything until Lumine and the Shogun were the only things I could see. With a flash and a bang, a new realm popped into existence. We were now standing in the centre of a ring filled with sand, surrounded by tall red gates which rose out of the ground loudly. The sky was crimson red, like blood with lightning occassionally flashing. 

I took a hasty step backwards, raising my polearm and shifting into a fighting stance like Xiao taught me. This wasn't gonna be easy.