oO Chapter 31 Oo

"Oh archons, I'm not surviving this!" I whined, doing my best to dodge all the Abyss Herald's attacks, plus the mages that were backing it up.

"C'mon, you can do this, (n/n)!" Kaeya said supportively. 

"You don't talk right now!" I warned. "You're my strongest character, and I am dying out here without you! You too, Childe!"

Childe put his hands up in surrender. "Can't exactly do much about that, (n/n)." he shrugged. "You've still got Beidou."

"Ughhh, you're not helping!" I exclaimed, not taking eyes off the TV screen. "I hate this! I need a shield!"

"Beidou has a shield." Lumine offered.

"It doesn't last long enough." I grumbled. "Not like Zhongli's shield."

"You're doing pretty well so far." Lumine smiled, patting my shoulder.

"I'm nearly out of healing foods, but okay, I guess." I sighed, taking the compliment.

"Hey, how did you even manage this quest without Lumi?" Sasha asked.

"I don't know, man, the cutscenes were just Paimon and Dainsleif talking. I've just been using other characters as a replacement." I answered. "Ah! Finally! I think I wore him out!" I exclaimed, as the Abyss Herald's health bar decreased. He was very nearly dead. 

The game blacked out to a cutscene and I watched, holding my breath for some reason, as Aether appeared to save the Herald before Dainsleif could finish it.

"Aether!" Lumine exclaimed. I'm pretty sure it was involuntary, because she looked embarrassed immediately after and covered her mouth. "He can't hear me, can he?" 

"I don't think so, Lumi." I smiled apologetically.

"Mm." Lumine hummed, looking at Aether with small tears forming in her eyes.

"Hey!" Paimon exclaimed in-game. "Paimon knows who you are! The traveller told me about you! You're her brother!"

"Speaking of my sister..." Aether trailed off, narrowing his eyes at Dain. "Where is she?"

"That's what we came here to ask you, silly!" Paimon stomped in the air furiously. "We thought you would know! Since the Abyss Order is the one getting rid of everyone! Give Lumine back!"

"The little one is correct." Dainsleif said, glaring at Aether icily. "Give back the people you stole."

I glanced over at Lumine worriedly, who looked like she was about to cry. Luckily, however, both Jean and Hu Tao were comforting her.

"I'm ninety percent sure this isn't the official dialogue." Sasha said, also glancing at Lumine with concern. "The script is deviating from what it should be."

"Without Lumine, the story is falling apart." I mumbled, gazing at the screen.

"...My sister...was taken?" Aether asked lowly, undertones of danger present in his voice.

"Duh!" Paimon exclaimed. "Keep up!"

"Was this your doing?" Aether questioned the Abyss Herald, a dark look in his eyes. Suddenly, the Abyss Herald didn't seem so smug anymore. I almost smirked.

"My- my lord, I..."

"I asked a question. Answer."

"Y-you said to get rid of...any threats..."

"Did I not say that none of you were to so much as touch my sister, much less send her to another dimension?"

"You sent her to another dimension?!" Paimon yelled, flying forward. I'm pretty sure she would have attacked Aether, had Dainsleif not caught her scarf before she could get too close.

The Abyss Herald just kept quiet, probably fearing for its life. 

Aether huffed. "Up. Now. Take me to her." He glanced back at Paimon and Dain. "We're done here."

"Wait just a moment, meanie!" Paimon exclaimed, wriggling free of Dain's grip. "Paimon wants to go with you!" She stomped the air furiously, flying forward the fastest I've ever seen her go. 

Aether stared at her, unimpressed. He paused for a moment, before giving in. "...Fine. You've been a good companion to my sister thus far. I suppose you've earned it."

"Hmph!" Paimon crossed her arms, glaring at him.

"That one, however-" He looked pointedly at Dainsleif. "-stays here. No negotiation."

"Yeah, yeah, whatever!" Paimon said impatiently. "Just take Paimon to Lumine!"

Aether glanced at her, like 'do you ever stop being loud?', before turning on his heel and walking towards the portal the Abyss Herald created.

"Wait!" I exclaimed, standing up. "He's coming here! Right now!"

No sooner than those words had left my mouth, the light bulbs broke, shattering the glass. Unfortunately, one of those was right above me, and a shard of hot glass nearly hit me. I was only narrowly saved by Xiao reacting quickly and swooping in to carry me out of harms way.

"Thanks, Xiao." I breathed, still holding onto him. "Well...that's new. And ominous. The lights didn't explode last time."

I moved to pull away from Xiao, but he tightened his grip. "Stay close. It's dangerous."

I opened my mouth to protest, but promptly shut up when I saw the portal appear in a flash. "Yes, sir." I mumbled.

It seemed extremely unstable this time round. Instead of the pretty shade of purple it was earlier, it was now a dark stormy shade of violet and it was glitching around the room at high speed. Eventually, it anchored itself in front of the TV, and violet smoke filled the air. I held on tighter to Xiao involuntarily as my eyes widened. 

My shock only deepened when Paimon zipped out of the portal, frantically looking around the room. She seemed relieved upon seeing Lumine and immediately made a beeline for her, tackling her into a hug.

"Lumine!" Paimon cried. "You can't leave Paimon like that! Or you'll get an ugly nickname!"

Lumine chuckled, her voice shaky and watery. "I won't leave again, I promise, Paimon."

"You better not!"

Lumine giggled again, but her laughter died down when she saw Aether come through the portal. Compared to when the rest had come through, Aether was very graceful about it. He walked through slowly, like he had all the time in the world. He seemed regal, almost.

"Lumine."

"Aether!"

(a/n: well, I've been spoiling all of you recently with updates-)