oO Chapter 23 Oo

"Klee, don't run too far!" Albedo called out as Klee practically ran amok in the shopping centre. We were trying and failing miserably to find the bakery.

"Okay!" Klee giggled, slowing down a little.

"She's very lively." Xiao commented, holding Qiqi in his arms. She was capable of walking on her own, but Xiao seemed to have a soft spot for her, and I am HERE for it. Honestly, it's so cute. My heart has melted-

"She is." Albedo chuckled.

"Y'all, this moment is adorable, but where the actual heck is the bakery?" I asked, hopelessly trying to make sense of the little tourist map we'd been given when we first came to the resort.

"(y/n), it's right there." Xiao sighed, tipping his head in the direction of the bakery.

I stared at it blankly, wondering how the hell I'd missed that. It literally had a sign out front, plus a bunch of people streaming in and out of the glass doors. "I swear i'm not this absent minded all the time."

Xiao glanced at me, sending me a look like 'you're so full of shit'. "One time you asked me where your coffee was while you held it."

"...Okay, maybe I am that absent minded." I conceded, smiling sheepishly. "Anyway, I wanna get something sweet! I remember they had good cupcakes last time I was here."

"Cupcakes!" Klee cheered, already rushing into the bakery.

"Slow down, Klee!" I exclaimed, catching her before she could knock anything over or bump into anyone. "We don't want you getting hurt, kiddo."

"Sorry, (miss/mister/mx) (y/n)!" Klee smiled guiltily, her eyes closed.

"It's alright." I smiled, patting her head. "Now! What do you wanna get?"

"The biggest cupcake they have!"

"Of course, kiddo!"

"(y/n), it's nearly her bed time." Albedo reminded me. I paused, realisation dawning on me. "We don't want her going on a sugar high right now."

"Oh, riiiight..." I mumbled. "Okay, well, how about a chocolate cupcake instead?" I asked Klee.

"Okay!" Klee giggled, not really bothered about not getting the biggest cupcake in the bakery like she'd wanted.

"How about you, Qiqi?" I asked. Qiqi looked at me and patted Xiao to let him know she wanted to be put down. Xiao obliged, and Qiqi came over to me, looking at the selection of cupcakes before her.

"I like that one." She said quietly, pointing to a vanilla cupcake with lavender frosting.

"Ooh, that looks good." I commented. "I think I might take one of those too. Boys?"

"Chocolate, please." Albedo smiled.

"I don't want anything." Xiao said, crossing his arms.

"Why not?" Klee asked, seemingly shocked that Xiao would turn down something sweet.

"I don't like most mortal foods." Xiao explained, as I tried to ignore the weird look the lady behind Xiao was giving us.

"Well, if you change your mind, you're welcome to share with me." I smiled. "Do we wanna eat them here, or go back to our lodge and have them?"

"Lodge." Albedo answered. "I don't think Qiqi's going to last very long."

He was right, Qiqi did look a little drowsy. It would be best to take the cupcakes home and then have them. It was pretty late anyway, so it'd kinda be like a little midnight feast of sorts.

After paying, and making our way back home, we all settled down in Xiao, Albedo and I's shared room. The cupcakes were delicious, and Xiao occasionally accepted a bite from me, while Albedo and I tried each other's cupcakes. Qiqi and Klee of course, finished theirs fairly quickly, which led to Klee going on a sugar high of epic proportions. She was bouncing up and down on the bed, and seemed more awake now than she was during the earlier day.

"Klee, don't jump on the bed." I said, gently grabbing hold of her and sitting her down. "The others are sleeping. We have to be quiet. It's bedtime for you, anyway."

"Aww..." Klee pouted. "But I don't wanna sleep!"

"We have a big day tomorrow." Albedo said helpfully. "We might go to the pool tomorrow. You don't wanna be tired for that, do you?"

Klee immediately gasped. "No! I wanna go to bed!"

Xiao just stood there, watching this exchange with a mystified look. "I didn't know children were this fickle. How did you convince her so quickly?"

"Sorcery, babe." I said, doing my best to keep a serious expression on my face.

"Oh, yes." Albedo played along. "I'm afraid it's a very difficult kind of sorcery to learn. It requires years of practice."

Xiao's mystified expression shifted to a deadpan one. He sighed and scooped up Qiqi in his arms, who was already half asleep and carried her to the room she and Klee shared. Klee hopped off the bed, following Xiao and Qiqi, giggling to herself quietly as she made a game out of not stepping on the lines between floorboards.

"Good night!" I called after them, smiling at the muffled response I got from Klee.

I flopped backwards onto the edge of the bed, yawning. "I'm sleepy..."

Albedo chuckled and gestured for me to come closer to him. "Come, then. Let's sleep."

I happily crawled over to him, near the headboard of the bed and made myself comfortable, lying down and hugging his torso. His chest made a very comfortable pillow, I'm not gonna lie. After a few moments, I spoke up again. "Hey, what's taking Xiao so long?" I mumbled.

"I'll go check on them." Albedo said quietly, patting the top of my head. "You can stay here if you like."

"Nah, I'll come with you. With any luck, it'll be something cute." I said sleepily, grabbing my phone from the bedside table in case it was something cute that I could take a video of. Upon reaching the room, I was delighted to see that I had been proved right, and Xiao was being made to read a bedtime story to Klee. She'd apparently packed a little storybook filled with fairytales, and was having Xiao read out one of them to her. Xiao, expectedly, looked like he felt he was being punished for something, but he spoke softly and gently which just melted my heart.

I gasped quietly, peeking through the crack in the door. I motioned for Albedo to stop before he pushed the door fully open, and I opened my camera app, taking a video of this precious moment. How often do you get to see the Vigilant Yaksha letting his guard down and being soft for children?

Albedo smiled quietly, also watching the scene before him. As Xiao closed the book, and Klee fell asleep, he mumbled. "I can sense you two, you know."

I giggled sheepishly, a little embarrassed at having been caught. "That was so cute. I knew you were a total softie on the inside!"

Xiao scowled. "Not a word of this to anyone, got it?"

"Yes, sir." I hummed. "Now, come on. I'm sleepy and I want cuddles!"

"You're such a child." Xiao sighed, though he and Albedo proceeded to provide me with said cuddles as much as I wanted, so really, I won here.