oO Chapter 53 Oo

"Ugh, what were we called on such short notice for?" I groaned, jogging and struggling to keep up with Lumine's quick pace. Seriously, the woman moved fast for someone so short. 

As Xiao and Albedo had wanted, I'd stayed home with them after our little rescue mission, and Lumine went out to meet with Thoma and Ayaka. I'd say I was disappointed, but  I'd be lying, because honestly, kisses and cuddles from the boys were better than anything else. And they were extra attentive because of my burn wound, even though it wasn't that serious. Anyway, Ayaka had called us to Komore teahouse, saying it was urgent, so naturally, Lumine and I hurried over right away.

"I don't know, but Ayaka's letter sounded worried." Lumine said, pushing her hair back. "I hope nothing too bad happened."

"I mean, considering how these things usually go, I just hope that whatever bad thing happened is at least funny." I shrugged, adjusting the bandage on my forearm.

Lumine just sent me a deadpan look, though there was a little smile tugging on the corners of her lips. 

Paimon zipped forward as we entered Komore teahouse, excitedly looking around. I, of course, made a beeline for Taroumaro, the adorable Shiba Inu that sits at the reception, petting his fluffy head.

"Wow, it's almost never this quiet at the teahouse!" Paimon commented.

Taroumaro barked on cue, as if responding to Paimon in his own little doggy language. 

I smiled a little, though I mainly just felt dread. "Well, there goes any hope that the bad thing was funny."

"Very helpful, (y/n)." Lumine said, curiously peering into one of the booths, which was empty.

Taroumaro barked again, this time with increasing intensity and volume. 

"Thoma's at his ventriloquist game again, huh?" Paimon deadpanned, crossing her arms. "You can come out now, Thoma! Paimon's seen you already!"

We were only met with silence, before Taroumaro barked again.

"Jeez, what's gotten into you, Tarou?" I questioned, scratching behind his ears to get him to calm down. The trick seems to work with most dogs.

"Thoma?" Paimon asked, sounding less sure of herself. "Where the heck is he?"

"Hello?!" A voice came from behind us, at the entrance of the teahouse. I spun on my heel, startled to find Ayaka, panting and out of breath. "Have any of you seen Thoma?" She questioned frantically, her hair tousled and escaping her normally so neat high ponytail.

"No?" Paimon replied, confused.

"We thought he'd be with you." I said, an inkling of realisation starting to dawn on me. I just hoped I was wrong.

"Why, has something happened?" Paimon asked.

"Then it is as I feared..." Ayaka looked crestfallen, a hint of fear invading her serene periwinkle eyes. "On the way here, I heard Thoma had been taken by the Tenryou Commission. I wasn't certain that it was true, so I made my way over here, though the fact that he isn't here, confirms that it is true. The Raiden Shogun is holding a ceremony at the statue of the Omnipresent God to mark the 100th Vision seized under the decree."

"Oh, I see where this is going..." I groaned. "Alright, time to go save my bestie." I straightened up, running a hand through my hair. 

"Hold it right there, (n/n)." Lumine held out an arm to barricade me. "You can't fight well enough to take on me, let alone an Archon, and anyway I promised Xiao and Albedo I'd keep you safe. Don't worry, Ayaka, I'll have Thoma back here, safe and sound, Vision intact."

"Hey, hey, don't just change the subject like that!" I interjected, indignant. "I'm here for a reason, remember?"

"Forgive me for interrupting," Ayaka cut in. "But, I would like to join you as well. He's my friend and I couldn't possibly leave him like this."

"See, she gets it!" I gestured to Ayaka, flashing her a grateful smile. She only distractedly smiled back, albeit a little awkwardly.

"Ayaka, you're the Shirasagi Himegimi." Lumine explained. "And (y/n), you're not strong enough for this. I can handle this, but I need you two to stick together, so I know you're safe. Just stay here, please."

"I..." Ayaka swiped her hair back, biting her lip and looking towards the floor with glistening eyes. "Alright. I trust you, Lumine. Please return Thoma to me safely..."

"I will." Lumine smiled reassuringly, patted Ayaka's shoulder and walked towards the entrance of the teahouse. "Oh, and (y/n), you better not cause any trouble."

I pursed my lips, crossing my arms and refusing to meet Lumine's golden eyes. "Yeah, yeah, whatever."

"Good." Lumine nodded once, before turning on her heel and striding outside. I followed after her, until the entrance and paused, peeking out to look at the street. I waited until Lumine was out of sight and chuckled to myself. 

"Like hell I'm staying here." I muttered, surging forward.

"(y/n), Lumine said to stay here!" Ayaka called out after me, swiftly catching my wrist to stop me from going outside. Her grip was vicelike, betraying how much panic she felt. I hesitated, debating whether I should follow Lumine or stay here with Ayaka. She didn't seem to be in any condition to be left alone. Even though she tried her best to keep her voice even, it still cracked here and there, like she was holding back tears.

I groaned, leaning against the doorframe, still allowing Ayaka to hold my arm. Well, fudge, what am I supposed to do now...?