Chapter 4 - Staying With Famous People

After my really awkward/rude moment with the cute brunette boy named George, I went to the reception and started talking to the manager. I told him about the flooding issue, the insurance stuff and gave him Amelia’s card.

“We we’re waiting for you Ms.Carter, your aunt has called us and your room is already arranged.” he smiled.

I smiled back, I was too tired to explain that my last name wasn’t the same as Amelia’s. “You and your aunt must be really happy to stay here along with all the X factor contestants” he said, I just wanted to get to my room and sleep so I just nodded and smiled more while he gave me the keys. I thanked the manager and headed to the elevators.

I opened the door and saw a beautiful big and fancy room. I could tell you all about the great silk curtains, the fantastic modern wallpaper, how clean the bathroom was and not to even say the many free shampoo’s and conditioner’s  miniatures in there. But all I cared about at the moment was the bed. I closed the door, left my suitcase and cardigan on the nearest table and dropped on the soft mattress.  I was so tired I fell asleep almost instantly.

-

I slowly opened my eyes and looked at the window, the sun was up and the sky was clear, it was morning. The hotel’s bed was pretty comfy and someone had covered me with a blanket overnight. The room had two beds, but my aunt wasn’t there, instead I found a note:

Dear Laura,

I arrived at the hotel later than I expected and found you sleeping heavily. You must be pretty tired from yesterday so I didn’t wake you up. I’ll be waiting in the hotel restaurant when you do, I bet you’d like some breakfast, their coffee is really good.

Love,

Amelia.

I stretched and wondered what time it was, 9:14 according to my phone. I got up and went to the bathroom, took a quick shower and dried my hair. I needed that after all the sweat from yesterday. Luckily I saw Amelia had brought the rest of my bags to the hotel and they we’re all pretty much dried by now, so I put some clothes on, a little bit of make-up and went downstairs.

Found my aunt sitting at a table next to the window, reading a national geographic magazine and drinking coffee. “Good morning sweetie!” she greeted me “Morning Amelia” I replied “You had a good night of sleep?” she asked me “Yeah, those are some good beds” I answered “But how long you’ve been here?” “Oh, just 20 or 15 minutes I guess, you were quick” she responded “But enough chatting let’s order!”

The table was full of fruits, toasts, bacon, eggs and orange juice, I was happy with that and my stomach agreed. Amelia tried to convince me to have some of the hotel’s cappuccino but I didn’t. I wasn’t a fan of coffe.

“So, how long we’ll be staying here?” I asked “Oh, I actually don’t know that” my aunt admitted “The insurance company told me nothing, but the firefighters said that those kind of leaking are really dangerous so they’ll need to do a complete renovation on the building’s system. I guess we will stay here for a while.” “Well staying at a five-star hotel isn’t that bad is it?” I smiled, “It’s even better when it’s free!” she agreed and we both laughed as I mentally thanked the insurance company.

“And you know there are some famous people staying at this hotel don’t you Laura?” my aunt asked “Who? Oh, yeah I saw some boys taking pictures and girls screaming at them, but I don’t know who they are” I answered “They must be one of the contestants of the X factor!” she said “I usually watch the show, but with all the work on the shop I wasn’t able to catch the live shows episodes yet.”

“Everyone has been telling me about this X factor, but I never really heard anything about it” I told her “Really? Then I’m gonna tell you everything ! It’s a singing competition, the contestants are really good this year! You have-“ she was going to start talking non-stop about the X factor thing but was interrupted by her phone.

“Oh my, the last time this thing rang bad stuff happened huh?” she said grabbing her phone from her pocket, I nodded in agreement. “Hello?” she answered “Hi Amber, how is everything at the shop?” “Aham, ok, yes 4 cups of flower and 3 eggs to do a whole batch.”

I smiled, it was weird to see my aunt having a cupcake business, the last time I saw her she was taking care of snakes and lizards at the local zoo, but nowadays, just baking delicious cupcakes non-stop.

“Is she new?” she asked on the phone “But how did that happened then? Oh, so then she is new.” “If it’s broken call Julian I can’t come right now.” “Dammit I forgot he was on vacations!” “Is it really necessary?” I wondered what could’ve have happened, my aunt seemed calm so I wasn’t that worried. “Amelia if you need to go there’s no problem, really” I told her “It’s the coffe machine, it’s broken" she said to me and turned to the phone again “Okay Amber, I’ll be there soon, at least keep the cupcakes coming” then she hung up and sighed “It’s this new Italian coffe machine, the only guy who could fix it is away so I need to go there and solve this problem.”

“Would you like me to come?” I asked her “No, no, you enjoy the rest of your breakfast. I’ll pick you up later so we can tour around some more!” she responded “I have the most amazing plans for us, I’ll tell you about the X factor later too! We can even go on one of the shows!” she giggled in excitement “Alright then, call me ok?” I said hugging her goodbye “Of course my dear! It won’t be that long, it’s just a coffe machine, and we still have 3 months!” she pointed out hugging me back.

When Amelia left, I stayed at the table reading her national geographic and drinking some juice. The issue on the magazine was tigers, how they could kill you in less than 12 seconds and even detect your pulse was pretty interesting. I was focused on the reading when the waiter came and asked if I wanted more juice, I said yes and he brought me a new glass. As I was drinking I decided to stop reading for a moment and just chill at the restaurant watching the people around me. Many old ladies were there accompanied by their dogs, mostly poodles or chihuahuas, but I saw some teenagers too; a young blonde girl sitting with a guy who appeared to be in his 20’s and a black guy with a blonde girl who looked like rappers, they all seemed to be friends. I was observing them when a boy appeared and joined them at their table.

I was in shock, it was him. Him. The cute brunette boy named George that on daylight was even cuter! And I could see he was also very fit, how could someone look so good? Then I remembered all the celebrities and models in the world,  “He must be one of them" I thought.

 But although I had a really nice view of him, I was still kind of embarrassed from yesterday with me being all rude and stuff. So I tried to hide myself with the national geographic and thought I was doing a pretty good job until I tried to look again. Our eyes met and he caught me staring, for my surprise he smiled.

And being the intelligent person that I am, instead of acting like a normal girl and smiling back politely, I got too shy and just covered my whole face with the magazine again. Then I heard a laugh and looked one more time; the boy had left his table and was coming up to me.