Chapter 81 - What Happened That Night

Back to Laura's birthday

GEORGE'S POV

"Stubborn even drunk" I roll my eyes.

"It’s important to keep my attitude at all times" she grins and I laugh, continuing to move with her, swaying back and forth.

It isn’t very adequate to the electronic music that’s being loudly played but I couldn't care less.  She's drunk, carefree and more bold than ever which is quite amusing but I'm still worried she might regret it tomorrow.

"I love you" Laura suddenly says, a lazy smile across her face. 

What?

Fuck.

No. No, no, no.

She can't.

She can't love me.

She's leaving me.

She fucking loves me and she's leaving me.

She can't love me.

I don't know what to respond, I don't know if she'll remember anything and as much as I'm dying to say it back to her, I can't.

She loves me and I love her.

But we won't be together. 

She's leaving.

I can't make this worse, if I say I love her back, it will only make it worse for both of us.

It will only hurt us more.

I gulp as she nuzzles further into the crook of my neck, tightening her arms around me.

"I love you" she says again.

Fuck.

I love her too.

I didn't think I would ever get to this point. I didn't think I would fall in love with her,  I could've never imagine that I'd be in love with her. 

But I am.

She made me, even if she didn't know that she was doing it, she made me fall in love with her. The way she smiles and the way she worries about me.

Our hidden kisses, the inside jokes that we have out of lying to everybody, when she enters in the room and takes my breath away, when our eyes meet and we share this look, this look that only we understand that makes me feel like the happiest man on earth.

"She's just a friend" "We are best friends" "That is nothing going on" "This is the truth"

She's not just a friend, we are fucking boyfriend and girlfriend and it seems silly to say that but I don't care about the silliness of the title if it means she's mine, if it means that she'll stay. 

There is something going on, for about a month now and I don't regret a single bit of it. This is the truth.

"We should do more shots!" her arms are off me in a second and she's scurrying to the bar. I don't want her to drink anymore. She's drunk enough to say I love you and that means there is already enough alcohol in her system. I can't imagine what else will  tumble off her plump lips if she drinks more.

I manage to wiggle my way through the crowd of people that Laura herself walked through so easily. When I get to the bar she's drowning a second shot, the other tiny cup already empty on the counter.

"This is your last one" I grab her wrist and put the cup down.

"Oh, stop it" she laughs "You need to have one, loose up a bit!"