Chapter 93 - Horrible Hospital Food

ALEX’S POV:

"I made twenty-three cappuccinos today, twenty-three"

"Well, it is the most ordered beverage we have" Amelia points out.

"I know, but twenty-three, twenty-three is too much, people drink too much cappuccinos, it can’t be healthy"

"Hey, don’t jinx it Maynard!" she throws a table cloth at me "Those cappuccinos pay my bills and don’t forget, your salary"

"True" I agree.

"Anyway, got all your stuff? We’re closing in 5 minutes"

"Yeah, just let me grab my coat" I run to the employer’s room just as Amelia’s phone goes off.

"I like the red dress from Topshop but you already know that, so I’d say the one with flowers from Zara" I hear my boss talk.

"You’re welcome, I expect a full report tomorrow morning by the way" she’s still on the phone when I join her on the front door  "Have a good night, darling" Amelia hangs up.

"I’m guessing that was Laura?"

"You guessed right" she smiles "She had some trouble picking out an outfit for her date"

"With Mr.X factor?" I laugh at the nickname Amelia and I had come up with a month ago.

"The one and only" she nods "They’re pretty serious"

"Yeah, I know, Liv was telling me yesterday how cute they looked in the papers"

"Your girlfriend ships them hard, if only she knew you almost had a shot with her" Amelia knew I had a crush on Laura from the moment she walked in the shop for the first time. Crushing on the boss’s niece wasn’t my best idea and getting rejected by her didn’t feel very good either but in the end everything turned out okay and everyone was happy. Laura had George and I had Olivia, the past didn’t matter, I was happy with Liv.

"It was never gonna happen anyway, she was too far gone for the bloke"

"Yeah, but there was a time when I was rooting for you too, Maynard" she admits "But the heart wants what the heart wants"

"I’m glad it didn’t work out though, I would’ve never found Liv" the redhead who had broken her heel and bumped into me was now in my every thought. I think I might love her even.

"Yeah, I know, I quite like you two together" she closes the door, locks it and stuffs the keys in her pockets before turning around "Want a lift?"

"No, I need to get some groceries, but thanks"

"I can still drive you there, it’s not a problem" she offers.

"No, seriously, I’m good, I know you’re tired" I reply and she nods "Night, Amelia" I wave at her.

"Night, Maynard" she returns, heading the opposite in which I’m going. I hear her car starting as I’m walking towards Tesco and not even five minutes later the sound of a car crash coming from behind me comes right into my ears.

 LAURA’S POV

I had never lost any important people in my life.

Both of my grandmothers were alive and both of my grandfathers died before I was born so I couldn’t really grief about their deaths.

But when those 5 words came out of Alex’s mouth, “There has been an accident” I felt like my whole world collapsed.

I instantly knew something had happened to Amelia, one of those awful gut feelings that had your stomach full of the most horrible kind of knots. I wanted to throw up and cry at the same time. Instead, George and I rushed to the hospital that Amelia was sent to.