Chapter 49 - Angry Tweet

”(…) I looked at the window, the night was cold but the stars were bright, the city shined and my heart was pounding (…)”

I slowly opened my eyes. Where was I? Ouch, my head hurts. I feel dizzy. What happened? Oh yeah, Marcus rescued me. I was in his cab. He was still driving.

“Marcus? Where are we?” I asked him “On the way to your hotel” he responded “But first we need to sober you up”

“How?” I asked again “Like this” he replied parking in front of a starbucks. “Stay here, I’ll be back in a minute” he told me. 

I sighed in relief. Thanks god for Marcus or otherwise I don’t know what would have happened to me.

A buzzing sound came from my phone; one text just arrived:

From: Ella Henderson

Where are you??

Ella is probably still at the club. I’m so damn selfish, I could’ve at least tell her that I left. At least Amelia won’t know anything since I told her I would sleep at Ella’s. I texted her back:

To: Ella Henderson

Don’t worry about me, I’m okay. I’m coming back to the hotel, meet you at your room xx

“Here you go” Marcus entered in the car and handed me a bagel and a cup of coffe. “I don't like coffe” I replied “You’ll like it now, drink it” he ordered starting the car again.

“So, are you gonna tell me why were you drunk and crying in the middle of the street?” “I was crying?” I asked “Your eyes are still puffy and red” he pointed out “Shit” I noticed looking at my reflection in the window. “What are you? 16?” “17” I corrected him taking a sip of coffe. It  was surprisingly good.

“Tsc, tsc. I hope tomorrow’s hangover teach you a lesson” “Me too” I agreed. “Where were you?” he questioned me again “At a party” “And can I ask why were you crying?”.

I didn’t respond. I kept my sight to the car’s floor. “Does it has to do with a boy?” the taxist guessed “Yes” I sighed “What happened?” “Nothing happened. There is nothing to happen” “Why?” he asked again “I like him, he likes someone else” “Are you sure about that?” “Well, considering that he was sucking the face out of another girl, yes I’m sure” I snapped angrily “Hum, ok then” the driver gulped.

“Oh, I’m sorry Marcus, I didn’t mean that. It’s just that I really liked him and I thought he liked me too” I sighed for the millionth time “It’s fine Laura, you’re hurt, it’s normal” he said “Boys are dicks” “You can say that again” I laughed a bit.

“You wanna talk about it?” he asked “I don’t know” I replied “Look, what I can tell you about us men, is that we are extremely dumb and we aren’t perceptive or aware of things, like feelings and stuff” “Right” I nodded “But if we love a girl, we will do anything to get her, anything to be with her” he continued “So if this boy of yours really likes you he will find a way to be with you. But if he doesn’t do anything, then probably he’s just playing with you and I think it’s better for you to forget him”.

“Thanks Marcus” I smiled “You’re really kind” “Thank you love, I learned that from life” he responded “If you really want someone you need to stick with him or her whether they have issues or not” “You’re wife must be very lucky” I said “I am the lucky one” he smiled “Just wish she would come back already” “What do you mean?” I asked.

“My wife, Christina, is a biologist, she was one of the few selected workers from her company that got to travel to Alaska to study the behaviour of some cells and shit like that” he explained “Wow, Alaska. That’s very far away” my eyes widened “Indeed. It’s an important event in Christina’s career, I couldn’t ask her to not go although I wish she didn’t now. I miss her so much” he sighed.

“How long has she been gone?” I asked “3 months now” he responded “She’ll come back in 2 months though” “Well, 2 months can be over very quickly” I tried to comfort him “I don’t know” he confessed “They say the heart grows fonder when you’re appart from the one you love, but I’m afraid she’ll forget me”.

“I’m sure she won’t” I told him “You’ll get her back soon” “Let’s just keep hoping that” he murmured “And about that boy…tell me more about him” “I don’t know what to tell you. Sometimes he’s a mistery for me, he tells me he’ll do something but then later does another thing” I sighed “This boy seems trouble” Marcus said “You need to take control, get him wrapped around your fingers” “But how?” I asked.

“You need to be and feel independent and brave, do not let him affect you. You’re better than him” the driver told me “Am I? I don’t think I’m better than anyone else…” I replied quietly.

“Oh Laura, you’re such a lovely girl, you can do much better than this stupid boy!” “He’s not stupid! He’s just…confusing I guess” “From what you told me, it seems that he’s misleading you” Marcus pointed out.

“I don’t think that neither of us know what we’re doing, we’re just…taking things slow” I responded “Do you want to make things better?” he asked “To actually know something, where things are headed to?” “Yes” I replied “So, as I said, you need to take control. Make him want you more, ignore him, don’t give him attention. Make him look for you”.

“That seems like a good idea” I said “It’s best if I do that, I’m too angry now, I would punch him if I saw him” “Do that! Show him who’s in control” Marcus laughed as he parked in front of the Corinthia.

“How much do I owe you?” I asked as I put on my heels “Nothing, I enjoyed this conversation too much to make you pay” he smiled “And I enjoyed it even more to not pay” I replied giving him a coupple of bills “Do not even think of giving me those back” I warned as I opened the cab’s door, “Thank you very much for rescuing me Marcus” “It was my pleasure Laura” he said.

I watched as Marcus’s car drove away and thought about how lucky I was for knowing him. I breathed in deeply and headed to the hotel’s door, within each step I felt a sting of pain. Fucking heels. I should dedicate a whole chapter after hating them.

I entered on Ella’s room; she had given me the spare key and Lucy was always crashing on Rylan’s. I set my feet free and dropped on the nearest bed. I wanted to sleep so bad but couldn’t afford to make another stupid mistake regarding make-up remover.

As I cleaned my face I got my phone and entered on twitter. There were already pictures of Rylan’s party. Tweets about how fun it was. Thankfully, nothing about me, George, or god forbids, the blonde girl. After I got into my pajamas, I slipped into bed and tweeted something:

@Laura18: Crazy night, can forget about that one…xx

I left my phone in the drawer and was just about to fall asleep when I heard it buzzing. I was surprised with this tweet:

@UnionJworld: @Laura18 Same here….X

And couldn’t help to angrily reply:

@Laura18: @UnionJworld Shut up