Chapter 86 - Coraline

"I hope everything turns out well" Amelia sighs.

"It will" I respond somewhat confidently.

"Call me if anything goes wrong, okay?"

"I’ll call you either way" I breathe in deeply and reach for the door handle "Bye Amelia, thanks for everything"

"I’ll see you soon dear" she weakly smiles as I get out of the car. It’s an empty promise, we both now that.

I walk up to the familiar place and ignore the “closed” sign on the door as I pull it open and enter inside Amelia’s warm coffee shop.

There’s no smell of fresh coffee and recent backed cupcakes this time. The usual hustle and bustle of the small business is lacking, for there is only one person besides me in the place.
“Hi dad” I greet in a slightly cold tone. Granted, it is a severely cold tone.

"Good morning, Laura" he returns.

"How was your flight?" I ask him, joining him on the table, sitting on the chair across his.

"It was fine, thank you" my father replies "And how has been your stay here?"

"Fine as well" I respond "But you already know that"

"I don’t think that I did" he narrows his eyes "Partying till dawn and getting drunk with strangers it’s not fine from what I know of"

"Then what you know of must be wrong" my teeth clenches "They are not strangers and there’s nothing bad in partying once in a while"

"Once in a while? The press says otherwise" he snaps.

"The press?" I let out a bitter laugh "You rather believe in stupid internet tabloids than in your own daughter?!"

"I’ve never said that I don’t believe you but I know that those articles have at least a bit of truth" dad defends himself "I’m just confirming it with you"

"And you had to fly all the way to England for a fucking confirmation?!" I can’t believe him.

"Don’t swear" his voice deep and rough, an icy tone around the edges of it, serious as ever.

"A call would have been enough!" my anger rises as much as my voice. Meanwhile my father is calm and composed as always. I don’t even waste the time to think why my mom didn’t come too, someone needed to look after my brother. It was good that he came instead of her, she would’ve been worse, more emotional and angry, just like me.

"No, a call would not have been enough, especially when what I’m doing is picking you up"

"W-what?!" my heart drops.

"You heard me"

"Y-you…you can’t!" I feel my eyes getting watery "You just can’t!"

"I can and I will" he warns.

"What does it matter anyway?! I’m leaving in a month!" I start to sob.

"The two months you already spent here have been enough, London has not been good for you"
“Why? Why?! Because I’m happy?”

"We always want things that are not good for us, Laura" his tone softens "We don’t need them, we only want them, even if they are bad for us. And I’m not gonna let my daughter ruin herself and her future by having parents that didn’t take responsibility for her"

"You don’t need to take responsibility for me anymore, if you have forgotten I am 18 now!" I practically scream.

"18 or not you are still my daughter!" he does the same.