Chapter 13

(Romanna's POV)

|

|

|

|

|

'Here you go my sweet, sorry it took so long, it turns out we have more than one thing here for you.' Tess said while handing me the small box with Jessica's name on it.

'Really? But we just got our mail the otha week, we shouldn't have anythin otha than this.' I said while inspecting the box. It had a UK Air Mail sticker on the label next to Jessica's name and our post box address on the top.

'Yeah, we have a three more boxes. One with your name, your mum's name and another with Jessica's name, all from the same person in the UK, Dan. Is that Jessica's dad?' Tess asked while passing me the three extra boxes.

'Umm, yeah, but I don't understand why any of them would be addressed to me.' I said while holding the medium-large box with my name on it. Wow it was bigger than both of the two boxes with Jessica's name on them. It was heavy too!

'Why would, Dan send me somethin? I can understand why he would send mum and Jess somethin, but why me?' I asked baffled.

'Well, Romie he's your step father and he clearly loves you as much as he loves Jessica. He want's you to feel like you're his daughter and we all know what you're like Romie, you don't let anyone in and you don't trust anyone. What could have happened to make you completely shut everyone out?' Tess said while handing me a pen to sign for the packages.

'You've got it all wrong, I do love him, but.... Oh, I just don't know, forget I said anything.' I didn't mean for that to sound as harsh as it did but I really don't want to be thinking about this at the moment.

'Thanks for your help Tess, catch-ya lata!' I shouted while walking out of the building.

'Here let me take one.' Jack said while taking two boxes off of me.

'Thanks, umm, what's that plan now? I wasn't expecting to have four heavy boxes. Did ya wanna go back to my house and I can dump these in my room? Then you can take me to whereva ya want.' I asked while Bunny took the boxes from both Jack and I.

'I'll go put these in your room for you, and Jack will take you to the Pole. I'll meet you two there.' Bunny said while opening a tunnel.

'Umm, ok, but please be careful I don't want those to get broken and I don't want mum to find 'em. So hide 'em in my cupboard or unda ma bed or somthin.' I instructed him.

'Will do! Meet ya at the Pole' He said as he jumped into the tunnel and vanished into the ground.

'You know how you said you didn't want to be carried? Well, I'm going to have carry you now.' Jack said with a cheeky sly grin, knowing I wan't going to be happy with his mode of transport.

'Oh just great! You betta not drop me cause I'll kill ya if you do!' I said sarcastically while crossing my arms and narrowing my eyes at him. Jack shook his head and laughed at me.

'Don't worry, I won't drop you.' He said while scooping me up bridal style. 'See, I am toooo strong enough to carry you.' He said in a childlike tone as we slowly lifted up into the air. The grip I had on him tightened as we floated higher and higher above the town.

'Wow!' Both Jack and I gasped in unison at the outback landscape surrounding us.

Looking from horizon to horizon we saw nothing but thick bushland and harsh lifeless outback. The red dirt and the dried stubble remains of grass that was too dry for kangaroos or cattle to eat, was the only thing covering the ground.