Chapter 31

(Romanna's POV)

|

|

|

|

|

'Mum?! Mum I'm home' I call out from the kitchen.

'Where is she? It's only 4:30pm.' I ask myself.

I pulled out a dining room chair and sat down.

'It's Sunday, maybe she's in town or at the markets.' I said thinking out loud.

Footsteps could be heard slowly walking down the hallway, into the lounge room.

It was my mother.

'Mum!' I called out happily. 'I'm home! Wait untill you hear about where I've been! I've missed you!' I said excitedly while running over to her for a hug.

Instead of hugging me back, she walked strait through me and into the kitchen. I gasped in shock as I quickly spun around and watched her sit down at the dining table.

'Oh, MiM, no!' Jack wispered to himself.

'M-m-mum?' I called her name hoping she would hear me, she didn't.

'She can't see me... I-I I'm invisible.' I stated with a shaking voice.

'Romie, it was a mistake bringing you here. I didn't even think! I'm so sorry! Come on let's get out of here. I'm taking you back to the Pole.' Jack said urgently while grabbing my hand.

I immediately slapped him away. 'No, don't touch me.' I snapped harshly.

'Mum!' I yelled at her while standing on the opposite side of the table.

'There's no point Romanna, I spent 300 years doing that exact thing! We need to go!' Jack said while trying to get me to listen.

'Where are you?' My mother wispered sadly to herself. 'Romanna please come home. It was Jessica's birthday on Wednesday, that was five days ago! She refused to do any birthday things unless you were here with us. I wouldn't blame her, I want you home too.' She said while softly sobbing into her hands.

'I missed Jessica's 9th birthday! No! Mummy? I'm right here, in front of you. You just need to believe in me! Please! Mum!' My words becoming more shaky and desperate the more I begged.

I haven't called her mummy since I was a little girl. Tears were threatening to fall from my eyes as I watched my mother cry over my disappearance.

Wait! Five days ago? But I've been gone for only four days. Oh my god, the time difference! The area were I live in Australia is about 13 hours ahead of America. That means they are about a day ahead of me at the moment.

'I was dead on Jessica's birthday!!!!' My squeal was muffled by my hands which were firmly pressed over my mouth.

'Will Jessica be able to see me?!' I begged Jack. 'Maybe since she believes in the gardians she'll be able to see me and then tell mum.'

'I'm sorry Romanna. I don't think she knows who Mother Nature is...' Jack replied sadly while pointing to the small figure that was curled up in a ball on the couch.

'Jessica?' I asked while kneeling down in front of her. She didn't reply. Like my mum she was also crying.

'No! This can't be happening! It was her birthday she should be happy! All I eva wanted was for my family to be happy! I sacrificed everythin to make sure they were ok! This is my falt!' I yelled while burying my tear soaked face into my hands.