Chapter 20

(Jack's POV)

|

|

|

|

|

'When Romanna was five her birth father abused her. He hurt her over and over again for an entire year. He fiscally and mentaly scarred her for life. That's all I know. She told me details about how and why he hurt her but I'm not going to share that with you. It's up to Romanna to decide whether to tell you or not.' I said while pulling my hood over my head and dropping my face sadly.

Bunny didn't speak. I felt bad about going behind her back by telling Bunny, but he's an adult and can be trusted.

I do feel better about telling him since the weight of her secret on my shoulders alone, was making me a little upset. It's a big thing and I've got no idea how Romanna has managed to spend her whole life with it. Now I have Bunny to talk to and I can ask for his adult opinion on the matter. He can help me, help her.

I am not going to pretend that I know what I'm doing or saying, but at least Bunny does, a little.

After what felt like an hour of silence, Bunny finally spoke.

'Humans are cruel.' There was a sticking amount of disappointment and disgust in his cold emotionless words. For a split moment I was scared that Bunny was going to lash out and smash something. For the first time ever in our friendship, I was scared about what he was going to do next.

Bunnymund had his head down and his ears were pinned completely back. He was furious and obviously wanted to take his anger out on some poor inanimate object.

I gulped, noticing the sudden change in his behavior.

I silently held my breath and uneasily inched slowly backwards on the couch, away from him.

Maybe I shouldn't have told Bunny about Romanna. He's only just started to get over his own depression and at the moment he is just as fragile as Romanna is.

After successfully moving to the other side of the couch I slipped my hands into my pockets, trying to be as non-threatening as possible.

I gasped and quickly slapped my hand across my mouth to stop myself from screaming when Bunny suddenly stood up. I didn't know what to expect.

Was he going to kick over the coffee table and smash everything on it? I was certain he was going to do that.... but he didn't. He just stood there, in silence. I watched him with wide eyes from the tiny corner of the couch I had backed myself into. My hood was still up and my hand was still covering my mouth. I was frozen.

'What happened next?' Bunny asked slowly while slightly turning his head towards me, but not enough to make eye contact. I relaxed a little when he raised his tall ears, showing that he was calm, once again.

This right here was a perfect example of the walls he has just built inside his head to stop negative emotions.

'Umm, I don't know. She didn't say anymore than that because I distracted her with something. While talking to me about what happened, Romanna made herself have a panic attack. I had to calm her down before she passed out.' I replied quietly while pulling down my hood, revealing my messy white hair.

'You did the right thing.' Bunny said while completely turning to face me. He raised an eyebrow when he noticed I had wiggled into the corner of the couch away from him. Bunny sat back down and gestured for me to come back to where I was sitting before. I did as I was told and moved over.

'It would have been helpful to know what happened next with 'er old man, did he get arrested or is the bastard still free? But if she was as upset as you said she was, you did the right thing by stoppin 'er. Romanna will finish her story when she's ready. Don't bug 'er 'bout it. I wish ya would tell me more about why he was hurtin her, but I reckon that ya won't. Am I right?' Bunny asked.