Chapter 4

(Romanna's POV)

|

|

|

|

|

I ran to the garden at the back of the house, jumped the small wooden fence and heaved myself up on top of one of the large water tanks.

Without thinking I jumped two meters across to the second tank. My feet hit the top of the green water tank hard and I screamed out in pain as the glass dug deeper into my feet.

I fell to my knees and frantically unscrewed the lid to the filter. I shot my head up fast looking around, making sure no one was watching me. My forehead stung and something wet dripped onto the back of my fast moving hands.

'Oh no.' I whispered as looked at the bright red droplet of blood. I raised my hand to my forehead feeling a large gash above my left eyebrow.

'That's what happens when you run down stairs!' I scolded myself while quickly wiping away the blood.

Finally the lid opened and I ripped out the dry filter that was inside. The tanks stood about three meters tall and the opening was just large enough for me to squeeze through.

It was dark, the only light was coming from the opening which was now out of my reach above my head.

Unlike the water tank I first climbed up on to, this one had no water. We use this empty tank to store the small amount of weapons that we own.

One Shot Gun, a spare axe, a few work knives, a stock whip and my Long Bow. I grabbed my bow and hung it over my shoulders, then I strapped my quiver, which was full of arrows, to my waist.

Now having what I need to defend myself, I climbed the small step ladder and pulled myself up and out of the tank.

I didn't bother closing the lid because I was in too much of a hurry. I then carelessly jumped off the top of the three meter water tank, completely forgetting about the glass that was still in the bottom of my feet.

'Why Do I Keep Doing That!' I yelled as I hit the ground with a thud, causing more blood to run down my face. I wiped it away again, but this time with the bottom of my shirt, staining part of the light blue material dark red.

The thing I saw was about a Kilometre from the house and I can't run fast enough to get there. I whistled loudly and my horse Theia trotted happily over to me.

I mounted her and galloped as fast as we could into the 40°C degree heat. I was riding Theia bareback since I didn't stop to saddle her up. I had a feeling I knew what it was I saw but I hope I'm wrong.

'C'mon girl! Fasta! We need to get there before they do!' I yelled to Theia. She whinnied in response and galloped faster.

All I could hear was beating of my heart, the pounding of her hooves, the wind roaring in my ears and the cicadas buzzing loudly in the nearby trees.

When we came within range, I slowed Theia down so our cover wouldn't be blown. Peeking over the top of Theia's head I saw an old rusty, beat up Ute with a big blue tarp in the back.

'A tarp! I knew it!' I whispered to myself. There were four men with shot guns and rifles. They were kneeling in the grass and aiming towards the river that ran through our property.

They were hunters, and they were aiming at the kangaroos that were sitting in the shade next to the river.

'How dare they!' I quietly hissed under my breath.