Chapter 18

(Jack's POV)

|

|

|

|

|

'The reason behind me not knowing how to read is the fact that I was never taught.' I explained to Romanna.

'I'll start from the beginning. How exciting, you get to learn about my past now' I said happily to her.

'Ok, I was born in the year 1694. I was a Sheppard and peasant boy.

Oh by the way, your mum's pie was the best! I totally grew up on that stuff and I haven't had it since I was a little boy. It definitely brought back nice memories.' I said while rubbing my cheeks. I was smiling so much much they were starting to hurt.

'Aww! I'm glad ya liked it! There's plenty of leftovas is ya want more.' Romanna offered while smiling.

'Haha, thanks. Anyway as I was saying. I lived in this tiny little village called Burgess with my mother and little sister. There wasn't a real need for schools back then and my village was so small there wouldn't have been a point in having one. A little after my 18th birthday in 1712 I died. I was ice skating with my sister one winter morning, when the ice began to break beneath her. I used my staff to save her life, but I fell through the ice and drowned in her place.

The Man in the Moon rose me from the dead, gave me my winter powers and turned me into Jack Frost. I had no memory of the life I had before I woke up beneath the frozen water.

Now you can kinda guess what happened next. What does a rebellious, fun teenage boy do for 300 years when he has no rules, no responsibility, no memory and super powers?' I said while chuckling at the description I just gave myself.

'Let me guess. You were off havin fun and didn't once think to stop and teach ya'self to read.' Romanna guessed while giving me a smirk and a cheeky nudge.

'Yep! Though I had managed to get by without needing to learn all that stuff, but as soon as I was a guardian it became really hard for me to do anything. I didn't want the others to find out so I tried to hide it for as long as I could, but it was a really hard thing to hide.

Bunny worked it out pretty quickly after North handed me something important to read and I kinda just froze up. Ironic isn't it, me freezing up. Anyway, Bunny saved my ass by purposely interrupting and explaining what it was I had to do. So I understood without needing to read the paper. Almost immediately after that, Bunny forced me to learn to read and write. Now two years later, I'm all up to speed! And the best part, Bunny's the only one who will ever know. Oh, Bunny and now you.' I told her, obviously proud of my hard efforts.

'Aww, how sweet of him to do that for you. Oh, umm... Thanks for saying what you said about my scar. It doesn't feel as much of a burden as it did before. Forgettin 'bout how I got it, I almost feel proud to have it.' She told me while standing up and walking back towards her open wardrobe.

'You should feel proud because it's proof of how strong you are. You survived.' I said while watching her back as she slipped her blue pyjama shirt on.

Ok, I was a little disappointed that I didn't get to see anything more than her back and maybe a tiny glance of her front, but I feel good about not looking. She trusts me enough to show me her scar and her bra in the process since over half of the spiral was under the blue strap at the back. I'm not going to break that trust by doing something as stupid as looking.

Even if she was showing off just a little.....

'Ya know what, you're right, I did survive. From now on I'm gonna start thinkin more positive things about myself and my scar. Thanks Jack for openin my eyes and making me realise how much I had hurt ma'self.' She said while stepping out of the bathroom with her pyjama pants now on.