Ch. 1

Caged Bird
- Chapter One -
• MORGAN •

As Ryder told everyone thank you and goodbye we finally got back into the moving truck to head back to our pack.

"So you think Big Bro's gonna be glad you're thinking of headed to Everest University?" Ryder asked as began driving off.

Truth is Ryder and Trace both know I wasn't planning on attending school there in the pack, but I know Trace was worried that I'd choose to go somewhere out of state...he wouldn't stop me from going if it was truly my choice, but I knew my being away from the family was a worry of his, and the further I choose to move away, the bigger the worry for Trace.

There was also the topic of my best friend Zoe.

To her knowledge, she still assumed we'd be going to school together at home...I hadn't had the heart to tell her otherwise but knew I needed to tell her soon.

"Like I said with Luna Harper, it's only a college tour...maybe spend the weekend and see what Everest Grove has to offer." I replied.

"Well, whether it's Everest University or not...I know you'd hate to do it, but you gotta break the news to Zoe kiddo."

I looked at him and nodded. I knew he was looking out for his mate, but he was also right... I did have to boss up and just let Zoe know what's going on.

But...In truth... School was the last thing on my mind right now as I had something even bigger to tell her...something neither of my brothers knew anything about yet.

Ryder smiled at me and then cranked up the radio. While he sang and drummed his fingers along the steering wheel of the truck  to the rock song from the 80s I looked out my window and drowned it all out as I closed my eyes and easily pulled forward my first interactions with Tommy Cage...

My Mate.

...

"Hey Mo, think you can run down to the truck and grab us some more boxes?" Ryder asked.

"No problem." I agreed.

"I'll go and help you."

I looked up at this new voice, it belonged to a guy I hadn't noticed before as another guy and girl had been bickering.

'Mate.' My wolf sounded in giddy delight.

I stared at him and it was a wonder I wasn't beet red from blushing...not that anyone would've noticed as the tall girl and the other guy kept going on.

I somehow willed myself to walk toward the doorway of Ryder's old room in the frat house and stopped near the guy.

"After you." He said sweetly as he gestured with his hand that he wished me to go before him.

I could've swooned.

And even though I exited the room first, once in the hallway he kept up with me and matched my stride so we were right next to one another.

We didn't say anything as we made our way down the grand staircase but the electricity between us was like static, growing with an air of uncertainty.

I half expected him to reach out and grab my hand...but instead, as we reached the base of the stairs he simply stopped beside me and just looked at me.