Ch. 1

Red Hot
Ch. One: Conflictions

{ TRACE }

I stood in my office as nervous as ever, but my wolf reminded me that I had to maintain my composure and keep a level head befitting an Alpha...more so because I was currently in the presence of the council.

"You must be excited to officially be presented." One of the Council members sounded.

I nodded, "Yes sir."

Your father would be proud." Another spoke up now.

"Thank you Sir." I replied almost robotically now, as the subject of my my father was still a fresh and touchy one for me

"And Yet...something else troubles you." The same member of the council spoke precisely.

I looked at him and knew there was no reason in denying it, but the truth was that while my father's passing was a subject I wasn't too keen on discussing...it was hardly the cause of my distraction tonight, and anyone around me could see it plain as day.

No, my thoughts entirely were now on her.
Valerie Carson.
My Mate.

Furthermore, while I wasn't exactly trying to hide or keep my mate a secret from them, I wasn't sure if now was the proper time for me to tell them about her...I mean, just because we've found her doesn't exactly mean she's accepted us as she could very well reject us.

All in all I knew at some point they'd have to find out about her anyways...even if she does decide to reject me. Had I originally planned on telling them about her this soon, No. Then again, I also didn't plan I'd be taking the position of Alpha this soon either.

"To be quite Honest with you all, I'm expecting my mate to arrive any minute now."

This time they were the ones to nod, "It's always a Lucky man who can begin his journey as a new Alpha with his Mate by his side." One said with a kind smile that didn't suite his stern and pallor face.

I nodded once more, "Well to be very honest with you all...while she is privy to our culture despite her being a human...she has yet to find out we're mates."

"Ah...so would an audience with us be premature?" Another asked.

I thought about it, "It may be a bit too soon, and like I said she doesn't know we're mates just yet...then again, all of you are already here...-"

"The choice is your Trace." The last of the three said this time. "While many may not agree with what I'm about to say... we council men aren't ones to impose ourselves onto a newly found coupling, now once a certain time after the two of you have been introduced to one another and have had time to figure yourselves out a bit then yes we will eventually ...at the very least, have to have her presented to us...but again, right now you have some leeway so to speak."

"It also isn't as big a spectacle as some may believe." The first of the three had spoke up once again, "a simple...'council members, this is my mate' will suffice."

I nodded my understanding... I was relieved to know they wouldn't press me to meet her so suddenly, nor would Valerie have to jump through all these crazy traditions and formalities just to be presented to them.

And of course a part of me did want everyone to know exactly who she is...but I also knew I couldn't throw her into anything she wasn't ready for.

Not too long after, there was a knock on my office door before my brother stepped in.

"Council Members." Ryder acknowledged respectfully. "Trace, They said Val's car should be arriving in a few minutes."

My wolf awoke at the mention of her name.