Ch. 18

Red Hot
Chapter 18: Guess Who's Coming To Dinner?
Part Two

{TRACE}

"You good?" Ryder asked me as I froze up momentarily as a wave of worry and uncertainty hit me.

I cleared my throat, "fine...just feeling my mates emotions." I admitted, all while worrying what was causing my mate to feel these sudden emotions.

"She's having lunch with Zoe, I'm sure the girls are fine...probably talking about the dinner tomorrow."

I nodded, "still no word from Yvonne?"

He shook his head, more than a little let down.

"Me either...but maybe she called Morgan."I offered,

"Have you chosen your Luna's guard?" Ryder asked, clearly wanting to change the subject, and I don't blame him. The subject of Yvonne was still here and there.

Honestly none of us really knew where we stand with one another. I mean after our last dinner where we'd gotten the green light for the clinic everything seemed pretty good.

But then she'd left and that was that.

I'd text her a couple of time but only ever got short clipped responses so I stopped trying.

"I have...and even though Valerie was hesitant about the role in the first place (as she hadn't heard of such a title, as a majority of Were-knowledge came from her sister and Braxton...and their pack doesn't have a Luna Guard), she knows when it comes to her safety and well-being I do not play around...I know he'll do a great job as he's someone I can really trust her life with." I said. "...at least when neither of us are around." I pointed out as of course I'd also trust my mate with my brother, and she'd never be more safe than she is when she's with me.

"Naturally." He smirked.

"Anyways after giving it a lot of thought...I couldn't think of anyone better than Maddox." I said.

"What...Maddox Cree...now there's a blast from the past."

I nodded.

"How's he been?" He asked.

"He alright...just moved back to the pack this week after he lost his mate a few months back."

"Shit." Ryder sounded with a shake of his head.

"I know...I can't even imagine...-"

"Me neither." He replied. "First Max, now a Mate."

I sighed heavily. "Yeah...but he moved back to get help."

Ryder pulled his eyebrows together, "Help?"

"Yeah...Maddox and his mate had a son so he moved back in with his parents for a while, while he figured out how to do the whole single parent thing...but he's closing on his own placelined up now, and practicing law of all things."

"He's a lawyer?!" He chuckled a bit. "I remember how much trouble he and Max use to get into."

"Same thing I said." I smiled, "but he's pretty good at it from what I've heard...even settled in quite nicely out at the new Boyd law firm."

"How does that work if he's a Garnett member but he's working on Braxton's pack lands?"

"Ahh...but I said the NEW firm...I thought your old buddy Ivy would've told you the news." I teased.

"Braxton and I drew up a travel clause to our pre-existing Alliance contract...basically all pack members from either pack are free to go and come between the packs unannounced so long as no trouble is caused."