Ch. 14

Red Hot
Ch. 14: Conversations
{TRACE}

I was sitting in my office just looking at my phone, Valerie had sent her address and I smiled. And as I got ready to call Braxton I heard a knock on my office door.

"Enter." I said as I put my phone in the desk's top drawer.

Ryder walked in, "I was fixing to head out for the evening, I just told Morgan bye so I was coming to let you know I'm taking off for the night."

I nodded, I knew this couldn't be easy for him. The move, the new mate, driving to and from the two packs for school and for Beta duties.

It's why I hadn't asked him to move over permanently until school was finished for him, but the minute he found Zoe he had made up his mind.

"Thanks for the heads up, and I'm actually glad you stopped by I have a favor to ask."

He nodded, "what's up?"

"Remember it's a favor, not an order so you can say no if you really want to...but, with Valerie living away from me it's giving my wolf major anxiety." I admitted. "Now I'm not asking you to be her full time babysitter or anything but since you're both at the same school, if you could just keep an eye out on her, for me."

"Yeah I don't mind...we usually grab lunch together anyways because that's when we get our studying done so not much of a stretch...plus she mostly hangs out with her sister meaning Brax will more than likely be right there with them when I'm not."

"Thanks man."

"It's cool...anyways the way I see it...you've unknowingly been doing the same for me, but with Zoe." He smiled.

I nodded as I knew he was right. Zoe was here all the time and has always been Morgan's best friend so she was basically like another little sister. I'd personally taken the both of them to countless mall trips, to the movies, dinners all as their chauffeur and body guard as dad didn't want anything to happen to either of them.

"Well I'm actually taking off for the night, I'll return tomorrow...if you could hold down the fort while I'm gone?" I said

He nodded, and didn't question my whereabouts...but anyone with even a spoonful of common sense would know where I was headed.

Ryder didn't linger any longer and I pulled my phone out to call Braxton...but I hesitated.

Now initially when I went into the idea of going over to see Valerie, I'd honestly thought I would just spend the night...a bit presumptuous if I'm being honest, but if I get there and Valerie doesn't invite me to stay with her I don't mind coming back home.

Just so long as she's comfortable and we can get this unknown barrier that's preventing us from moving forward, out of the way once and for all.

"Hey Morgan." I called out knowing she'd hear me if she was anywhere here in the house.

It took her a minute but she let herself into the office. "Yes?" She smiled.

"I was going to take off in a bit...may be an overnight trip though." I said not wanting to reveal that I may or may not be spending the night with my mate.

"You know, it's okay to say you're going to see Valerie." She smiled even further now.

'Was I being obvious?' I wondered.

"It's a little obvious." She voiced knowingly.

"How so?"

She shrugged delicately and smirked, "easy...no offense or anything Trace...but you didn't exactly have much of a life before finding your mate, so it's easy to put and two together...plus you've never given me a heads up that you're taking off for the night."