Ch. 1

The Beta's Mate
Chapter One: Different Worlds
-Zoe-

"You know...They say that upon our first shift, there is a 50 percent chance you will find your mate shortly after...they also say that chances are high that you One: already know the person, or Two: are in the same pack with your mate." Morgan said with a sly smirk on her face.

I looked at my best friend and smiled...she has always been such a hopeless romantic and I've always adored her for it...but the fact that since we've shifted and neither of us have found our mates...her romantic side has sort of become borderline obsessive.

"I don't know if you've failed to notice...but we've been shifted for over a few years now and have lived in the same places our whole lives..." I said "I'm genuinely starting to wonder...what if I don't have a mate?"

"We all have a mate Zo." She countered, more than a little upset.

"Look, I do agree that somewhere out there we all do have a mate to begin with...I know that much is true." I said "But I also know that life happens, maybe my mate is younger than me and hasn't shifted yet... he could be a human and I've only been around guys from the pack...or, maybe...maybe my mate passed before I had the chance to meet him."

"Please don't say that." she said sadly as she came over and pulled me into a tight hug.

There was a knock on her bedroom door and her Brother poked his head in. "Sorry, everything okay?" He asked worried.

"Everything's fine Trace...I'm sorry, I mean....Alpha Trace, I was just telling Mo bye." I said as I really did have to get going before my mom frisked out that I still wasn't home.

"Zo...you're practcally my little sister, " Trace chuckled. "It'll always be just Trace ...anyways I'll leave you girls to it then... Morgan, don't forget about dinner tonight." He said as he smiled at us before leaving.

"I think He's gonna make a good Alpha." I said once it was just Morgan and I again.

She nodded, "He will, but I like giving him shit still." She smiled.

I shook my head, "Alright, I really do need to get going, My Dad and the Step-Monster are coming for me and I still gotta pack."

"I can't believe you're leaving me right now."

I rolled my eyes and shook my head lightly at her dramatics before I smiled, "Well... I have to at least go and pretend to have a good time but...I'll be back, hopefully soon too."

"Hopefully." She echoed as she pulled me in for another hug and squeezed me. "And call me." She added.

I nodded before I got up and we began making our way down the stairs.

I was beginning to feel antsy and I genuinely did not want to leave now, I thought I'd better grab a run before my dad arrived.

"Hey maybe when I call you can tell me all about your brother's fancy Alpha dinner." I said nudging her, knowing her dad had never let her go to any "Alpha" dinners before.

"Oh...that," Morgan said as she rolled her eyes, "Trace just wants us all to have a family dinner since Ryder's in town."

"Ryder... he's here?" I asked completely curious now.

True that I don't know him as well as I know Morgan, Trace, and Yvonne...but I know of Ryder... or, I know as much about him as everyone else in the pack...but even I knew He isn't one to just willingly come to this pack.

I mean Morgan had said he came back for their dad's passing and funeral but of course he would...despite their rocky pasts, they were still father and son. Hell, even Yvonne and her jerk of a mate had shown up...it was the first time (sans Max) that all of the Johnson children had been under the same roof in years.