Ch. 4

-Franks Fate-
Ch. 4: Get Away

As the party went on I tried my damndest to relax and enjoy myself...really I just wished my sister would serve the damn food so I could leave.

Pat introduced me to his cousin Braxton (who i'd already been introduced to by My sister), it was his lake house I was staying at.

"Thanks for letting me crash at your lake house man." I said a little more one on one since the girls had seemed to group off and talk about the upcoming party with the mothers.

"Oh no worries," He sounded "Truth be told, we hardly make it up there now a days."

"Well the place is really great...the town is nice too."

"Yeah it's a quiet little spot, not too much going on there...and I'm sure your sister's happy to have you here." He added kindly.

I nodded, "I'm happy to be here for her and Pat."

Just then Elise's husband approached us and I tried to remain cool.

"Oh Frank, this is my cousin by law, Vance...Vance have you met Mariah's brother?"

"Only briefly introduced, bet your sister's glad you're here." He said kindly echoing Braxton's words.

I nodded, "Couldn't let her down."

"Hey Love can you help me?" My sister's little friend sounded as she pulled Braxton away, I smiled as I watched them go.

"So you planning on sticking around until the baby comes?" Vance asked.

I made a face and shook my head as I tried to hold onto this easy going rapport I had with Elise's husband right now. "I've never been one to stick around in one place too long." I confessed.

He nodded, "That's good."

I was a little humored by his response. "Good?"

He just looked at me and I noticed his stare was more pointed. For a split second I thought he'd known what happened between Elise and I back in California, but I thought against it...She doesn't seem like the kind of girl to drudge up the past. Especially since she's happy and in a good place.

"Yeah good...you see, I know my wife...know her emotions, and her actions...and you...something about you puts her on edge, which puts me on edge." Vance said a little darkly.

"Well I'm sorry either of you are put off by my being here...as I said, I only came here for my sister and Pat, that's it."

He nodded and then just walked away.

I shook my head and decided to just tell my sister I was leaving...I didn't give a shit if they hadn't served dinner yet...there was no way I was going to stay here and deal with someones husband.

One that as of right now just gets a vibe about his wife and I...I definitely didn't want to stick around when he starts putting two and two together...if I'd of known she was with someone I would have honestly never talked to her like that.

Mariah was pouting when I left but I assured her I'd have lunch with her tomorrow.

I found my way back to the lake house easily. I wondered if I could chance my luck and possibly find the same girl from earlier.

I thought about it before deciding to venture back into the town.

To be honest it wasn't super late but I'm sure most businesses like her family's Law firm would already be closed for the evening.

I drove into the town and as I drove past the Law Firm it looked closed. I sighed and parked the car there anyways and decided to just kill some time by walking and this time just taking the place in.

For some reason I wanted to know this place a little better than before.

"It's home." Ivy's words sprang forward and I knew for whatever reason or the next I was only interested in this place because Ivy had said this is her home. And thinking about the elegant beauty drew me in more.

As the stars began to shine even brighter I knew I needed to either grab some groceries for my stay, or get something quick for the evening.

My laziness won out and I decided to just grab something for the evening, and as Luck would have it there was actually a small Chinese spot. I was entering just as someone was leaving.

"Excuse me" I apologized as I had bumped a gentleman who was leaving, he offered me a head nod before holding the door open for me. But when I walked inside I saw there was a small line waiting to order. And the minute I stepped into line I stood behind a woman, She turned and smiled at me. "Hello again." I sounded as I saw it was Ivy.

"What are the chances Mr Hot Shot?" She smiled beautifully.

I couldn't help but smile back now. "Well someone pointed out to me earlier that it is a small town...plus a guy's gotta eat."

"If I remember correctly, You were suppose to be off to a dinner with your Sister?"

I nodded, "And so I was...but I'm not big on crowds, and it was starting to get more than a little crowded in there."

"A loner I see." She sounded.

I sighed, "Sadly always have been...but it comes with the territory."

"How so?" She asked before blushing a bit, "...If you don't mind me asking of course."

I smiled again, "Of course not...I travel a lot, for work."

"I get it...The lifestyle." She confessed. "My clients call me to all sorts of places, most people around here just call me a wanderer." She smirked in a slightly mischievous way.

"Well I don't think it's so bad...and seeing as we're both here now, how about we just grab a table and have dinner together?" I asked just going for broke here. I mean, what were the odds we'd run into each other so soon?

"I'd love to, But...-"

"But you already have plans." I finished for her.

"No." She smiled. "I was going to say I'm waiting for my food, I was just picking up an order I placed earlier...But I'm sure they wouldn't mind if I got my order and ate here with you." She added.

"While I enjoy the offer, How about I order something really quick and maybe you'd could join me for dinner back at the place I'm staying at?" I knew it was bold...but so what, if I looked like a dumbass or too forward I knew I wouldn't be sticking around here too long anyways.

"And where exactly are you staying?"

"I'm at this lake house, but to be honest it's more like a lakeside mansion."

"Lake mansion?" She sounded humored before thinking to herself for a moment as something suddenly seemed to click, "...wait, you don't mean the Ocklan's lake house do you?"

I smirked, "Yeah actually." I said as I recalled Mariah and Patrick mentioning Braxton's last name was Ocklan.

"My apologies...I hadn't realized you were a friend of the Ocklan's." She sounded more at ease somehow.

"Uh to be honest I've only just met them, Braxton was kind enough to offer the lake house to me while I'm in town for my sister's gender reveal party." I confessed but could see she was now a little confused as to why a guy I just met would open his home to me so I explained. "My sister's boyfriend Patrick, is Braxton's cousin."

"Oh...your sister is Mariah." She smiled sweetly now.

I suddenly felt like the biggest douche...don't tell me I'm into another one of my little sisters friends?

"You know my sister?" I asked worried now.

She shook her head, "Not exactly...You see I know of her though mutual friends and clients...I thought your name sounded familiar." She admitted with a small blush at the end. "And yes, I'd love to have dinner with you, if the offer's still on the table so to speak?"

I nodded. Just then her food arrived and I went to place my order, we talked while we now waited on my food to come out and before too long we finally went back to the Lake house.