Ch. 5

-Frank's Fate-
Ch. 5: Talk to Me

"So then Frank Van Buren." the lovely blonde sounded as we had both gotten settled into the lake house.

The food spread out on the large dining table.

I looked at Ivy fondly.

As weird as it was there was an ease to our interactions all evening. Nothing forced or over the top...just...easy, almost effortless.

"Talk to me...tell me about yourself." She said as she began to eat.

I sat back a moment and watched her enjoy her food and then smiled before I told her about work.

"But what about you?" She asked, "I want to know what makes Frank tick."

"Uh, well there really isn't much to tell."

"Everyone always says that, until they start opening up." She countered.

I nodded, "Well you want the full life story huh?"

She nodded and smiled to which I found I couldn't help but smile and appease her.

"Uh, My mom was born and raised here, My dad had come down here for college and that's how they met, but I suppose it was nothing ever serious as they were never married...She had me, I was transferred back and forth between the two constantly until I was 12 and I chose to stay with my dad." I admitted.

"I mean I'd come and visit My mom and my little sister...My father was a hard worker, and he instilled in me the same work ethic so to be honest I've always put myself into my work before everything else...he passed when I was 19 and I've been out in California by myself every since."

"So is California home then?" She asked.

I shrugged, "It's as good as any I suppose...As I mentioned a little earlier, with work I travel a lot so it's hard to call one place home over the other...But it's where my apartment is so yeah...I guess it is home."

Ivy shook her head, "That's not home." She picked up her glass of wine and took a small drink before continuing. "Home is where your family is, where your friends are...where you settle down and put down roots."

I chuckled, "Suffice it to say I've always sorta been a lone wolf."

She looked right at me now, but it wasn't just looking at me, but almost like she was trying to figure something out.

"So...tell me about your sister's boyfriend, Patrick...what ALL do you know about him?"

I sighed, "Really, I'd heard he was the player sort...not one to judge myself...I mean, he's young, go and live your life kid...but it was different when I found out that sort of guy was with my sister." I admitted.

"You've gotta understand, though we may have grown up apart, my little sister means the world to me, and sucks to say it, but we're all we've got left in the family department so I'm kind of extra protective of her...I mean I wouldn't even be back here if she hadn't of asked me to come for her gender reveal party..." I filled her in. "But Pat's a good guy, I've seen him with Ry and honestly they're great together...I can tell She's his number one priority, and I'm glad she has someone to take good care of her and the baby."

Ivy smiled. "That's good, Patrick is connected to a very well known family around these parts."

I could only nod, "I met his folks tonight, and his step sister...they all seem really down to earth and again I'm happy to see they all seem to adore my sister, she's gonna need that love and support when the baby comes."