Ch. 17

Red Hot
Chapter 17: Guess Who's Coming to Dinner?
Part One

{VALERIE}

As months had passed by everything seemed to fall into an almost comfortable normal.

Finished with school, I found my days filled with Luna Training. Originally it had been with one of the council members, but as he was needed back at the councils headquarters he found an excellent replacement in Sue.

And who better, as not only was she the right hand woman of Lori, Trace's mother (the previous Luna that graced the Garnet Hills pack), but she and her husband were close to the family.

In fact one of the main people Trace was adamant that I meet upon my arrival to the pack, was the pack house's head cook, Sue Landry.

Sue and her husband Aaron had been employed with the Johnson's back when Trace's grandfather was the Alpha, they'd seen three generations of Alphas come and go and were really the backbone of the pack house as Sue feeds everyone and Aaron maintains the house and grounds.

I'd also learned they were the closest things that Trace had to any family outside of his siblings, and he treated them as such, always warmly hugging Sue or playing a game of chess or two with Aaron.

And thankfully they'd both welcomed me with open arms as well.

She knew the etiquettes and intricacies that came along with hosting Alphas and Council members. And what she couldn't help me with (which was very little, as Sue was a wealth of knowledge) I had Trace and Ryder.

And these days, everything with Trace and I just sorta came seamlessly, while we were more than open with "I love you" these days...our thoughts and feelings came even more naturally now.

It's honestly hard to think of how hesitant I was going into this relationship...but now that I'm fully in, it is just as second nature to me...like breathing, as Trace genuinely seems like my life line most days now.

I watched my phone light up with a notification but I left it untouched on the table between us.

"Shit is that the time?" Zoe asked panicked as she picked up her own phone now to double check. I had convinced her to join me for lunch as she was going through a testing week and Ryder had expressed to Trace and I that she hadn't taken the time lately to have any time to herself for relaxation or fun.

"You rushing off?" I asked slightly humored as I watched her clambering to collect her phone and purse and reach in to pay. "Don't worry, I've got it covered." I offered

"Sorry Val, I have a study group I'm suppose to meet up with..."

"I understand..." I said standing up from my seat now, "Just remember to try and not wear yourself too thin, we all care about you and don't want to see you stressing yourself out."

"And I'm gonna need you to take that same advise."

"Excuse me?" I chuckled, "I'm stress free girl."

"Except you're not...you e been stressing about dinner tomorrow."

It was true.

"Is it that obvious?" I asked.

She shrugged, "it's to be expected Val...you've met all the other Johnson siblings and she's the last one you've yet to meet."

I sighed, "doesn't help that all I've heard is how strained their relationships are."

"Were." She countered. "After the last dinner we had, when Yvonne came to talk to Trace and Ryder about opening up the clinic and signing off on the building...things seem, better."